Thread: Shoei RF-SR helmet

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar

Shoei RF-SR helmet

It was time to get a new lid so I went to Cycle Gear today, armed with my AMSAF scholarship. (If you're in AZ, the helmet scholarship is well worth doing!) (We pay $50 and get $125 voucher for Cycle Gear or RideNow, PLUS 25% off the helmet MSRP.)

Cycle Gear salesman was super helpful. I was wondering with COVID if I was going to be able to try on lids but they are sanitizing them after try on, so I felt comfortable with that. Tried on the RF1200, the RF-SR and some other brands. Ended up going with the matte blue RF-SR as it just felt the best and it was a little less $$ than the RF1200. I didn't see that big of a difference yet to pay the RF1200 money compared to the SR money.

Helmet comes with a pinlok; excited to see how that works.

I also went with the photocromic face shield. No more worries of switching out shields. That makes me happy as it's super dark where we live so the tinted shield that I always have on my Qwest was great on cutting down night glare, but...it's dark. So I'm anxious to try this out. Some mixed reviews on how long the coating lasts, but...here goes nothing.

Sadly, I do think my pink mohawk days are over due to the matte finish and the buffeting has gotten a bit old, so...I think I'm going mohawk-less for awhile. It makes me a little sad but....we'll see how it goes.

Will follow up once I have a ride under my belt with the new lid. I have to run into town tomorrow am so will likely take the Strom and see how the helmet works.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

(PS I was a little sad that I could tell quality differences in the Bell and Sedici. I really wanted to like it due to the pricing but...noticeable difference with the Shoei...the weight being the biggest difference.)
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    The RF-SR is also very, very, highly rated for impact protection performance. I picked one up as a new trackday helmet when I noticed that my X-12 was over eight years old.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Ever seen this?
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-weights/
    ... mines the Nexx one up at the top there. It's pretty light.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    The RF-SR is also very, very, highly rated for impact protection performance. I picked one up as a new trackday helmet when I noticed that my X-12 was over eight years old.
    With this one being blue, I think I need a new bike. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    With this one being blue, I think I need a new bike. No?
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me, but the way that I do things is that I got a black helmet to match my boots and gloves. The 'new' bike is blue though.

I know where there's a BLUE Triumph Tiger...

...and, as an added plus, you've already ridden it, Missy!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Finally, a trackday last Sunday. I wore the RF-SR for the first time. It's REALLY quiet! I was impressed. No, it does not fit as well as my Arai Signet X, but I did not expect it to. The RF-SR fit is about the same as my Shoei X-12, not quite a long enough oval for my very long oval head. That aside, the helmet fit OK and is pretty comfortable. Trackday speeds vary between about 30 and 100 or so and I found the helmet's noise levels to be impressively low. Far, far, quieter than the Arai that is my every-day helmet and also notably quieter than the X-12 that the RF is replacing. Ventilation may be less than the X, but that really did not bother me at all. The faceshield fit is nice and tight with no notable air leaks or whistling. As a side note, at 100+ the RF is very nicely stable.

I decided to wear the Shoei on my commute today and found that my track impressions were accurate. The helmet is nicely quiet at sane road speed too. I have not weighed the RF, but it feels pretty light.

You are aware that Shoei has a custom fitting program and can change/adjust the pad sizes to help fit riders?

It's very close to the MSF Headquarters office in Irvine. Just FYI.

I'm pretty sure I've posted their address here before.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Yes, that is why I went through so many X-11s. With the -12 there was a subtle shape change and the fit was off. The only way to go was to choose a helmet one size too large and then pad it down. That felt OK but the padding allowed too much shifting. That's when I went to Arai. Their, then new, Profile had a longer oval shape that fits well out of the box. Some padding customization and the fit becomes perfect.