Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Chain Alignment Matters

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    2 Laser beams should work.

Iíve used string, flourescent bulbs, rubber bands tied together, bar stock, all to get the rear wheel as close as possible, to the longitudinal axis.
    Even need to inspect the rear tire carcass for imperfections when doing this procedure.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

2 steel rulers, yes, you need to do it on more then one section of the rear tire, if the tire spins wobbly we have yet another problem. lol go for your average wobble alignment, fix your tire or adjust your spokes.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Front tire is 120 mm, rear 160 mm. Perfect would be 20 mm space on each side. I am getting 16 mm on the left and 21 mm on the right. 5 mm difference plus or minus some slop since the total does not equal 40 mm. Tire imperfections, inflation, rear tire is elevated and unweighted, front tire is weighted and my process is not perfect yet.

So that would mean that the right side of the axle needs to come forward just a bit. But I am also thinking my measurement error is probably a couple mm so I am thinking it is not too bad as is.

Everything has an allowable tolerance you'll be the first to notice it when you ride it, that's the cool part about working on your own bike

I have one I am thinking about trading in now because I am growing a little intolerant of it.
    I did something silly, I bought 2 near identical motorcycles except one has more power then the other guess which one I like.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Two dumbells at the back and two at the front, each 16 cm apart and connected by string. This way the rear tire is free to spin and I can check for wobble as well as for alignment.

Be sure you hold on to those dumb bells. Those are commanding good pricing, right now.

Maybe substitute rubber bands for string. Just inter lock them together, then stretch 'em.

I've been known to measure the "air gap" on the sides of the front tire, as compared to the rear tire. Can get fairly close by doing this.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I simply measure the distance center-to-center between the axle and swingarm mount on both sides, adjusting the axle until both match.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Hey Sorg, I just knocked out a set of motorcycle wheel bearings in 7 minutes,

the key to doing it was a length of 3/8" threaded rod, 2x3/8 " nuts, a couple of washers and 2 wrench sockets.
    One socket has to be big enough to swallow up the bearing and the other socket needs to be just slightly larger then your axle.
    Now I just need to phone around for some cheap 6004 sealed bearings and go for a shopping ride

Bearings are installed took about 1 minute to press the bearings in, I just used the axle and a custom spacer. Don't forget to put the spacer between the bearing before you press the bearings in that would not be good.

Throw me your wheel, if it uses 6004 bearings I can swap them out in about 10 minutes
    and I work slow!