Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650... Thoughts?

Flirting With The Redline robardin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    For urban riding;
    Yep, I would SR400, I also expected it would be very easy for you to find nice lightly used ones.
    Apparently not; between Craigslist and Cycle Trader, that was the only one I could find

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    Apparently not; between Craigslist and Cycle Trader, that was the only one I could find
    My experience with Craigslist is that you have to watch it for a while. Listings come and go. The best deals come and go quickly. You have to know what you want and be ready to act when the deal you want comes up.

I started looking for a Honda CB500X in the fall of 2015. I found the one I wanted in the spring of 2016.

If you want a bike right now, you are limited to what is available right now. But if you are patient, you will have a lot more choices.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    You say they have new old stock at dealerships? Those bikes include a manufacturers warranty!
    Hang on let me do the dollar conversion on that: 5800USD = 7830CDN$ + 13% = $8847.90 + pre delivery etc. so roughly 9 grand our money.
    I'd be hard pressed to turn away a brand new previous model year bike on a reasonable discount deal in preference for a used anything when the list price is really not that bad. Every motorcycle I have bought since 1986 has cost more then that, including my dirt bikes, so your prices don't really sound all that bad from here.

BTW: the R-E is a heavier motorcycle then your current Suzuki SV650, the SR400 is about a hundred pounds lighter. It's that significant lighter weight that makes the motorcycle easy and maneuverable for city riding. Lots of bikes are lighter and lots perform better but those are not classic designed bikes and the price will also be relatively higher.
    Last edited by Trials; 06-23-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Flirting With The Redline robardin's Avatar
    Well, the curb weight of the Interceptor 650 is listed at 202 kg = 445 lbs., vs. 472 lbs. for my DL650. Slightly lighter, but really it's the lower ride height and COG that will make the bike feel more maneuverable in city riding. After all, I test rode the Triumph T120 which is maybe 50 lbs. heavier wet than my DL650, it still felt about as nimble.

And the 450-500 lb. weight means it's stable in crosswinds on bridges and highways. Maybe not "toss around traffic" nimble, but if that was what I was going for, I would still have my Vespa .

I guess I should decide on what it is I'm looking for, and commit to it instead of waffling.

Is it a one-bike solution that replaces my excellent one-bike solution in the 2012 DL650, but trades some adventure or touring functionality (higher riding position, larger fuel tank) that I no longer appear to need for a more classic styling, but without sacrificing reliabilty, maintainability, and safety? In which case I can spend a little more and potentially eye something like a T120 would be a reasonable change, except I'm aware of the difference in reputation for being reliable and maintenance-free between Triumph and Suzuki motorcycles.

And I'll admit I was looking at this $5000 Interceptor 650 in that light, as a potential "one bike" solution that was half the cost of even a used Triumph T120, while giving at least 80% of the fun.

Or, am I seeking a more classic looking second bike for around-town use, keeping the DL650 for longer rides, just for fun? In which case, something like the SR400 could fit the bill.

I was hoping to hear at least some first-hand accounts of ownership of an Interceptor 650, they appear to be very popular bikes at least in the UK, AU, and NZ (as well as India) and generally very well reviewed on YouTube. Frequently mentioned in comparison to the Triumph modern classic bikes as at least worth a look for a value conscious buyer, if not a full-on no brainer.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I would be a bad influence on you, I like having 3 motorcycles minimum, one for go far, one for go fast and one for go anywhere

... Vespa is a heavy scooter! it weighs a little better then 2 of my Montesa trials bikes strapped together.
    You need to ride a modern trials bike to know how nimble a motorcycle can be

and now you made me want to go riding
    Last edited by Trials; 06-23-2020 at 01:02 PM.