Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Why" this site is sick...

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a difference between "Wanting to ride a motorcycle" and "Wanting to be a biker", even discounting the idea of "Harley image".

Someone who wants to ride a motorcycle is more receptive to the idea of riding a cheap, beat-up motorcycle to learn on, because they're riding.

Those who want to do it for image will listen to those telling them about which motorcycles are "coolest to be seen on", and will tend towards ones in pristine or new shape.

Just my opinion, from my observations.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I manage the Riding Academy program at a Harley-Davidson dealership. We have a 1200 sq ft building that normally has about 60 pre-owned bikes inside. Many of them have fewer than 2k miles of use. They just sold a 2018 Softail that had been ridden just under 50 miles.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    It's a sickness,
    I been hopelessly addicted to the damn things since age 10

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    I watch the comments from new riders on facecrap and the advice from some of the "experts" that have shown up there. For some reason I still don't consider a $20k+ 650 pound bike to be appropriate for a beginner. There are at least a few of the people from here giving sound advice but they are drowned out by the noise.
    I think on facebook it's trying to mitigate any harm because typically those entering there, from what I'm seeing but no empirical data, is that they've already bought a bike. They haven't been reading to start small, so...they don't want to hear "go get a smaller bike now that you've bought this bigger one." That seems to happen more on facebook than here but I could be wrong. Seems people more proactively sought out this sight and had the advice before getting a bike whereas facebook, they seem to be finding us AFTER they bought a bike and "now what?" lol So at that point, it's trying to do what we can.

Again, I could be off on that but just my .02.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    The worst thing anybody can say to a completely inexperienced rider: You will grow out of it too fast and get bored with the power. So the poor guy goes out and buys Way too big of a motorcycle. They haven't even learned to go around their first corner yet and somebody has them needing a bigger motorcycle. It is complete and utter nonsense, all they are doing by going to a bigger heavier motorcycle is extending their learning curve and possibly setting themselves up to lose interest in riding motorcycles properly or at all.
    But you know what they say: misery likes company.
    Take your motorcycle advice from a happy rider not a pirate.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    I think on facebook it's trying to mitigate any harm because typically those entering there, from what I'm seeing but no empirical data, is that they've already bought a bike.
    I think that in many cases you are correct. There is the occasional person that shows up and mentions looking at some 1200 cc lump of iron and is told that they should look at something bigger.

I thought my F650GS was adequate when I had it and then I got rid of it for a 400 cc scooter because of back pain making it hard to get on the dual sport. Currently looking at things like Groms just because they are light and easy to blast around on. What do I know...

Dave

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Totally with you Dave but...not everyone thinks that way.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    I watch the comments from new riders on facecrap and the advice from some of the "experts" that have shown up there. For some reason I still don't consider a $20k+ 650 pound bike to be appropriate for a beginner. There are at least a few of the people from here giving sound advice but they are drowned out by the noise.
    You should try a non-beginner bike group on for size, the levels of ignorance and "experts" increase exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Those who want to do it for image will listen to those telling them about which motorcycles are "coolest to be seen on", and will tend towards ones in pristine or new shape.
    I admin a Shadow VLX group at facebook along with mod duties at a Rebel group and the number one trend is just that: image. Sadly, it's not even the "biker" mage, rather that unimaginative dismantle/sawzall/rattlecan "itzabobberdood" trend. New riders pop in all the time with a pristine bike wanting advice on how to transform it into a ruined pile of shit that will never run or ride properly again, backed by resounding "experts" that have done the same drill on numerous bikes. Chrome has become a dirty word, almost as dirty as "spend three figures on improving it."

Seriously, it sickens me to my core when a rare 93 VLX Deluxe (less than 2K made as a test market model) or an 86 Rebel Limited Edition (real tough to find in fair shape these days) and they get hacked up and rattlecanned. These bikes fetch premiums at auctions and I can't find either on the open market to save my life.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    They just sold a 2018 Softail that had been ridden just under 50 miles.
    Does anyone remember my auto-retort to such bikes?

"It still has the OEM gas."

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    I think on facebook it's trying to mitigate any harm because typically those entering there, from what I'm seeing but no empirical data, is that they've already bought a bike. They haven't been reading to start small, so...they don't want to hear "go get a smaller bike now that you've bought this bigger one."
    That, and the "I'm looking to buy the megacruiser or hypersport as my first bike" crowd --- which is interestingly enough the same mentality. They're not looking for advice, they only want justification in their choice (re: my first response here regarding instant gratification).

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    The worst thing anybody can say to a completely inexperienced rider: You will grow out of it too fast and get bored with the power.
    My retort to that not-logic hasn't changed in years: "That two to three hundred miles you logged while being bored? The only thing you learned was how to refill the gas tank. Since you only did it once or twice in that period, it can't even be called a skill."
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Ya know, there are a LOT of low-mileage, high-performance motorcycles out there on Craigslist. They're usually being sold by people who were JUST LIKE YOU!"

(or their estates)

However, statements like that are about 30 words longer than they're willing to listen to.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    However, statements like that are about 30 words longer than they're willing to listen to.

That 8 second/12 word attention span is a tough one to penetrate. No matter how hard I try to use smaller words and shorter sentences, I just can't achieve those parameters.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com