Thread: Questions in the FB group

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar

Questions in the FB group

I have noticed that flavor of the answers in the FB to new riders seems a lot different than what I remember used to be here. Lot of suggestions that 1200cc+ and over 650 pounds is too small. When I was learning I don't think I would have wanted to try to stop a 650 pound bike from falling over if I had the wheel turned at a stop sign. With my Ninja 250 it was more of a don't do that experience.

Anyone else notice this?

Dave

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Pretty sure there has always been a faction that claims it makes no difference,
    but there is no way those riders have any real sense of a motorcycles front to rear balance point with only floorboard to floorboard experience.

I see a lot of young people trying to buy the wrong motorcycle for sure, but I have also seen far more riders getting into riding trials bikes lately then ever before, which will be good once the riding season officially starts

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! atonic's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, this website had a mission when it was created. Facebook just "happened" when folks left here to avoid certain folks. Also, what you call 'lots' seems like 1 or 2 in my memory. Besides, facebook doesn't lend itself to dialogue. More like shouts into the ether.
    The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

You know something else. a lot of people start riding and then don't stick with it.
    Not avid enough I guess, or maybe they fall down once and don't like that part of it so quit

I am actually looking at the new Honda 125 (don't remember the model) that looks like an old CT-90 and hoping they release it here. 125cc will get my fat old butt up the hill to the house and it would make a great grocery getter with a milk crate on the back end. I think they listed it around 265 pounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    I am actually looking at the new Honda 125 (don't remember the model) that looks like an old CT-90 and hoping they release it here. 125cc will get my fat old butt up the hill to the house and it would make a great grocery getter with a milk crate on the back end. I think they listed it around 265 pounds or so.
    Yes nice bike!
    but if it's just an I hope they release it here consider this Honda 4-valve 260cc 190 pounder:

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Yes nice bike!
    but if it's just an I hope they release it here consider this Honda 4-valve 260cc 190 pounder:
    That is pretty too but no place for the milk crate. I have enough woods that I could play a bit but I would need to run through with the brush hog to knock some of the crap down. About 6 out of our 10 acres are wooded, I get to mow the rest.

Dave

That bike is almost point and shoot, you don't need much trail back pack works great and it is sprung weight.
    that's no regular toy that is one serious toy.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    I have noticed that flavor of the answers in the FB to new riders seems a lot different than what I remember used to be here. Lot of suggestions that 1200cc+ and over 650 pounds is too small. When I was learning I don't think I would have wanted to try to stop a 650 pound bike from falling over if I had the wheel turned at a stop sign. With my Ninja 250 it was more of a don't do that experience.

Anyone else notice this?

Dave
    The facebook group was created when we were having issues with downtime on this page years ago.
    Of course, since then, the facebook group has grown into something else from this page because, well, it's facebook.

There will always be that faction you speak of, but this group's voice won't be heard unless you chime in. So feel free to speak up on facebook, too!

Missy
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What can you expect from a facebook group? Facebook is for the instant gratification crowd looking for choice justification, not advice or facts.

Still, the same can be said for this board. I started taking a lengthy hiatus when I saw how bikes like the SV-650 were being touted as beginners here. The mission is dead, RIP Tom Andrews.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com