Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's the littlest things...

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, some things continue, despite the lockdowns. Periodically, I'm tracking a twin-engine aircraft doing aerial photograph across the northern Illinois area. Landscapers are landscaping, pizza delivery people are delivering pizzas, power companies are paying to have trees trimmed away from power lines, people are letting controlled burns become uncontrolled, etc.

The "limit how many in the store" has now spread to Walmarts this week. Seems strange that they want people to line up to get in, so that they can keep "social distance" inside the store. But at least they haven't shut down the "order and pick up" service. But they did cut all overnight hours, so it you want to avoid lines... well, you have to come back when there are lines.

The local Dominos removed all their seating, so you aren't tempted to sit down and wait for your order to be cooked.

LOTS of people doing yard work. When the cower-in-place rules lift, we'll probably have the cleanest lawns in decades, as people fight their boredom.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    You need to get good at it, social distancing that is.
    Rode most of today, it's pretty easy to stay busy as usual when you live in the middle of your riding area and the lake is almost completely thawed out plus I'm ancient so I don't even need a fishing license any more! Wife and I have seen a total of 7 other humans in the past 3 weeks, it's actually very nice.

Oh and thank you California you grow good oranges

Blog Entries
    Newest thing, in light of tigers in zoos getting COVID... While self-isolating, avoid contact with your pets.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Newest thing, in light of tigers in zoos getting COVID... While self-isolating, avoid contact with your pets.
    What's that about?
    I was telling people this might become a problem for pets and zoo animals a long time ago, but people preferred to believe it is a human only virus.

Blog Entries
    Some people are starting to realize that going back to reusable things may not be as safe as single-use versions.

Grocery bags: Local city decided to go with a 10 cent per bag tax on single-use bags, to encourage people to move to reusable. Three weeks ago, they pulled the tax, when it was pointed out that reusable bags introduced unknown sanitary conditions in the stores, as they were piled on checkout belts and bagging stations. They haven't banned reusables, but that may be a matter of time.

Bottled water: Environmental groups still decry the mass of plastic floating in the oceans, but the governments are encouraging people to drink from their own, disposable bottles, rather than spreading disease with shared cups and bottles. It's put a real kink in my trying to break the family of buying bottled water, even after I've bought them individual reusable bottles. We're back to the, "OK, who's partial bottle is this?!?" routine.
    Jeff

'13 XT250

Thats the nice thing about being 100% on well water and having to drive an hour to get to the mega store.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Shelter in place makes riding motorcycles safer. Rode to play disc golf Wednesday morning during rush hour. Traffic was not bad at all. There will be a lot of permanent changes resulting from this. Will we ever shake hands again? Some say stopping hand shaking would save thousands of flu deaths every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Shelter in place makes riding motorcycles safer. Rode to play disc golf Wednesday morning during rush hour. Traffic was not bad at all. There will be a lot of permanent changes resulting from this. Will we ever shake hands again? Some say stopping hand shaking would save thousands of flu deaths every year.
    It's hugs that I am going to miss the most I like to get hugs from the ladies.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Some elements of social distancing will be with us for a long time, maybe forever.

Blog Entries
    Will there be a rash of emergency room visits for broken wrists and lacerations when people forget about the ceiling fan when they toss their virtual caps at their virtual graduation ceremonies this year?
    Jeff

'13 XT250