Thread: Down to the Husky

Down to the Husky

Yup, that's right.

The Harley is in the shop for a "compensator." (A known defect.) Made it 21,000 miles.

Going to have them install a Baker compensator as the "screaming eagle" comp appears to not hold up. Hopefully, get it back this week.

Then, last Friday, on my way home from work, on my Triumph Tiger, my transmission ceased to shift (while on the freeway.) Just over 50,000 miles. It was "stuck" in 5th or 6th gear. Turns out the shifter detent & star wheel are a known failure item. So much so, that Triumph has a "shifter kit." So, there I am, trying to "time" the signal lights to my indie. I only had to fully stop at 1 signal light, luckily. Slipping the clutch in 5th from a dead stop sucked, but I got it done. Rode right into my indie's shop with it, told them, " I got another one for you!"

So, now I'm down to riding my Husky to work. (If I break this bike, then I gotta mountain bike!)

Teri's kid is using my car for her work transport duties, so that's out. (Lucky butt, as it's forcast to rain here Tuesday thru Thursday.) I get to ride on knobbies on the street, in the rain! Weeee.

Ok, gotta go wake up you-know-who!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Norty!
    Yay Husky

lol Harley compensator wish I could describe what I thought of when you said that.

Holy crap, I never thought of that! LOL!

I bet this is the first time a Husky has been parked at my work! Maybe 2nd time, as I think I rode it there once, earlier this year.

That was because I wanted to. Today, was because I HAD to!

Gotta ride it again tomorrow.

Dunno when the Triumph parts get here.

The (ahem,) Harley compensator should be arriving soon at the indie's shop. Hopefully. I still get a chuckle out of that!

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Holy crap, I never thought of that! LOL!

I bet this is the first time a Husky has been parked at my work! Maybe 2nd time, as I think I rode it there once, earlier this year.

That was because I wanted to. Today, was because I HAD to!

Gotta ride it again tomorrow.

Dunno when the Triumph parts get here.

The (ahem,) Harley compensator should be arriving soon at the indie's shop. Hopefully. I still get a chuckle out of that!
    You must let us know if they had to insert it or strap it on.

Well, the shop I had do the work screwed up my HD. Since then, I've had another shop try to fix what the first shop screwed up. The bike STILL isn't right. I'm really kinda done with it. Waiting for the bike to explode now. Too bad to, as it's a pretty bike. But now, it vibrates to the point of failure. It's only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Well, the shop I had do the work screwed up my HD. Since then, I've had another shop try to fix what the first shop screwed up. The bike STILL isn't right. I'm really kinda done with it. Waiting for the bike to explode now. Too bad to, as it's a pretty bike. But now, it vibrates to the point of failure. It's only a matter of time.
    If they have to make the drive gear that complex to make a chain primary work, they should just scrap the chain primary and go to all gears primary! Then they could build in a cushion drive into the idler gears similar to a rear hub :/ or would that be too much of a break from tradition

You may be on to something, with the chain whipping around in there. When I took the bike to the 2nd wrench, they fired it up and it just about came off their table (they said.) Now, I'm thinking of getting a different chain tensioning device. And, you're right, there are gear sets available for the HD primary...
    Just put a new rear tire on, too.

EDIT~I went last Friday, to do PLP with another rider. He followed me into the huge 24' X 75' box. He said, "Are you using your brake to modulate your speed?" I said, "Yes." He tells me my brake lamp is inop. So, I go home (about 3 blocks from the PLP site.) I take the rear brake lamp lens off, and notice there's NO BULB in the socket. I tilt the lens and hear something rattling around in there. I up end the lens, and jiggle a bit. Out falls the bulb! Plugged the bulb back into the fixture, and viola, I'm back in business!

Now, to figure out the darn vibration issue. (It's really bad in the RH footpeg.)
    Last edited by NORTY; 05-10-2020 at 06:08 PM.

You know I honestly think I could design and home build a better primary chain tensioner then any of the ones I have ever seen on those machines.

Right hand peg :/ that's a little weird isn't it?

Yup, my right foot gets a foot massage, whether I want it or not. Can't think of anything else that could have been disturbed during "R & R"process that would cause this. It's still using the stock chain tensioner. I'm kinda thinking it may be suspect. The 2nd mechanic told me it may vibrate more, down the line, as the tension shoe wears. Seems like the spring may be faulty or something...