Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Give Up Riding

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Ta da! download it quick before it disappears.

2013-2015 service manual link below:

Honda CBR500-CB500F Non ABS-ABS 2013-2015 Service Manual.pdf

... I think it's safe it didn't blow up my computer yet and it looks like a manual.

Read it and memorize it tonight, the test will be in the morning should take me about 15 minutes

OK, I'm done with chapter 17
    your rear suspension is almost identical to my trials bikes except made with steel instead of titanium alloy

It's a really good manual, even has pictures of the special tools so you can make your own improvised versions

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Great find. Thanks. Will look at it this weekend.

Looks like it has a 15 tooth sprocket, this weekend I'm almost finished reading it.
    Nice bike, stock up on a few choice parts and you should easy keep it going with that book for the next 30 years. ... or 3000 power wheelies anyway

I think I will open up the front and inspect the front sprocket. Maybe I will change the sprockets.

If the front sprocket is 15 tooth, it would rotate 2.7 times for each rotation of the 41 tooth rear sprocket. Therefore the 5 points of resistance is close to two per rotation of the front sprocket.

I have briefly inspected the front sprocket and I do not see anything concerning.

I am now leaning back to the rear brake hypothesis. I am thinking that the brake rubbing could cause a sound from the front by putting tension on the front sprocket.

I am wondering if rear wheel alignment could cause the brake to rub. I am thinking not since the brake is attached to the wheel so the brake alignment would not be affected by wheel alignment.

A mechanic replaced rear brake pads last year. Bike does no have much mileage on the new brakes. I wonder if they just need to wear in a little. Maybe I should ride the rear brake a little and see if it clears up.

You could just remove the calliper with the 2 big mounting bolts and then spin the wheel, that would remove the brake from the equation.

I get to teach my buddy about fixing well water pump systems later today.

I like that idea. Any risk of a newbie not getting it back on correctly?

If it is the brake rubbing, is that likely just a new brake wear in thing or a need for an adjustment?

Always a risk that's how we learn but you have the advantage of online assistance. Never had that when I was a boy and trying to figure this stuff out with only a service manual.

Do Not pump the brake levers once the brake caliper is off, that would make the pistons move, which makes them harder to get back on and if you pumped it a lot the piston would fall out of the caliper and oil would go everywhere :/ very messy. Once you have the caliper bolts out you can wiggle the caliper a little and use that movement to push the pads further apart and away from the disc face.

Sell check seems conflicted with the spelling of calliper/caliper but you know what I mean its that big lump of hydraulics on the end of a rubber hose.

I take the pads off to inspect them, clean them, sandpaper the face if they are glazed and reinstall them and use them until there is not enough pad material left on them to be useful.

... hydraulic brakes are more of less self adjusting, they work or they don't and the lever is the only place you can make a change. You have to remember there is no mechanism to retract the disc brake pads like in a drum brake. The disc brake pads clear the face of the disc only by friction or vibration or wobble in the disc if that exists, for the most part the parts are touching during normal operation.
    Last edited by Trials; 07-17-2020 at 09:58 AM.