Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Give Up Riding

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I ordered a torque wrench. Since I do not do a lot of work on bikes, I do not have a good feel for “damn tight” vs “snug”. Owner’s manual calls for 89 nm for axel and 21 nm for adjusters. So I guess 89 nm is “damn tight” and 21 nm is snug.

Since I had adjusted to tighten the chain after stretch, I will need to re adjust (move the rear wheel forward) for the new chain. I have a 120 pin chain and I need a 112 pin chain so I should have to remove 8 pins (4 links). This makes sense with how it sits on the sprockets now.

Today I have more grinding wheels coming. I plan to cut the extra links off the chain when they arrive and then adjust the tension.

I am wondering if I need to buy an alignment tool. I have seen some videos using the tool, some suggesting eye-balling and some suggesting making an alignment tool with string.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Align by eye.
    Axle torque spec is at least 65 foot pounds (that is kinda like having a 65 pound weight hanging off the end of a 1 foot long wrench
    ( roughly as tight as you would tighten the lug nuts on a car wheel.)

Once the axle is tight the adjuster screws do virtually nothing. Not even sure why they have a torque spec on that part, the torque value they are giving you on the adjuster bolt is just the maximum rating for that size of bolt. Don't even bother putting a torque wrench on the adjuster bolts, that spec is misleading. Lot's of bikes don't even Have axle adjuster bolts, they use a snail adjuster.
    Last edited by Trials; 07-05-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: adjusted torque values upwards

... a person with a discerning eye can easy just look down the length of the chain when it is on the bike,
    and see that it is in alignment with rear sprocket or not. A misalignment in the chain is usually fairly apparent.

The string alignment test is as much to make sure the front and rear wheels are in alignment with each other. Easy enough test to do and it does confirm that you have everything together correctly

I rarely buy 'special' tools for anything, I make them. Usually turns out as good as the stuff you buy too.

On the subject of torque wrenches, home mechanics usually need 2 or 3 different sized torque wrenches, it's not the size of the socket that necessitates this, it is the range of torque available on any given wrench.
    The wrench you use the most (on a motorcycle) will be the small one because it is way easy to over-tighten a small bolt and destroy it then to over-tighten a huge one that you nearly have to stand on just to bring it up tight.

I got a 20 to 200 ft lb torque wrench.

My son wants me to keep the Honda for him for sentimental value. Rode it for three of his college years. Currently thinking I will sell the KLX and Versys and work on getting the Honda in perfect condition. It is a good bike for me to ride around town and cheap to keep.

But I like the KLX and Versys too. And it is nice to have multiple bikes for when the kids are home so I can ride with them. But I do not think it is worth keeping extra bikes around just for the occasional times the boys are home.

Anybody know anyone in Orlando that wants a KLX or Versys?

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    ... a person with a discerning eye can easy just look down the length of the chain when it is on the bike,
    and see that it is in alignment with rear sprocket or not. A misalignment in the chain is usually fairly apparent.
    Is it close enough to idle it on the stand in first gear, tire spinning and chain is tracking straight and true?

You should be able to tell without it even running, chains don't like to bend sideways much. Actually it might even be far more evident if the wheel isn't moving.

Can’t get the clip on

[edit]

Got it. Looks solid.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 07-12-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Ya
    and you put it on in the correct direction, right The little clip swims like a squid, head first, legs follow: