Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to Give Up Riding

I used to put about 3000 miles/year on my bicycles. Man, did I have nice legs!!! My NINJA green Vision recumbent, the only one in existence with factory paint in that color, got the most miles (over 20,000 on it--yes, there are supposed to be four zeros in that number), including all or part of the annual week long bicycle ride across Iowa (+/- 500 miles, depending on the route in a given year) a number of times. After I had my son, that mileage went to about half that. I had sold a Rans Vivo, which was my second/winter bike, and bought a Trimuter trike to haul my kid with. Once he was solo, I sold it and spent more time on the Vision. An Electra Townie joined the stable when I became a League Cycling Instructor so I could have a "normal" bike for class use, as well as quick "grab and go" rides. Then I made the mistake of learning to ride a motorcycle.. That expanded my two-wheeled world exponentially; then, like you, I pedaled less and less. When I moved to the Ozarks I lost my bicycling network of friends, the trail system (I rode on the street most of the time, but the trails were sort of like a bicycling freeway), and the ease of running errands and commuting in an urban environment. Even though I love rural living now, I do miss that. In four years, I just haven't been able to integrate bicycling into my life much here. I have quiet, chip-sealed roads so that's not a problem, but there are only two towns that I can get to safely to do anything; a third requires crossing the interstate either on a narrow-shouldered, fairly busy two-lane, or taking a more circular route on safer roads that double the ride time. And it's a 40-minute drive/ride to the nearest city, which I'm guessing would've taken me a half day when I was in my pedaling prime. I still love pedaling when I do it; I just don't do very often anymore. I haven't given up on it, though. But I get plenty of exercise, mostly walking, just taking care of my bigger house than I had before, more acreage than I had before, and a 0.3 mile one-way trip to the street to fetch the mail and schlep the garbage cart back and forth. Then there's splitting wood and those type of chores. For dedicated exercise time, I have a wraparound covered porch with four sets of stairs and a treadmill for when it's too cold outside. And then there are all the miles I put in walking on the motorcycle range. I'll also add that I get some isometric exercise riding my NINJA hard in the twisties!!

In one of Crash's books, he talks about things in our lives that wax and wane over time. That helps me keep things in perspective when I start feeling bad about not pedaling much anymore; it's just waning right now. Well, maybe it's time for motorcycling to wane a bit in your life so you can focus on bicycling and other types of exercise for awhile. But I agree with the other folks here: Don't give it up completely. Trust us, you'll figure it out.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! Big Daddy C's Avatar
    I have up motorcycle for bicycles 12 years ago and don't miss it. I'm still in the open on 2 wheels and when I hit 60mph on a decent it makes anything I did on a motorized bicycle seem pale... I'm upto a bit 10K a year on 2 wheels powered by my limited 250-300W most days... and 130 lbs lighter and still here to tell you about it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    BDC

Head Wanker and Nipple Patrol Founding Father.
    #1 Member of M.I.T.G.C.

1995 Honda PC800 - SOLD!
    1999 Honda CB250 - SOLD!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    No doubt!
    That's some real nice flat open countryside you have there, but at 60 mph on a bicycle I imagine that would be tremendously exciting!

Peddle bike would not work well here today, too much ice.

Happy last day before new Year ride all

How come you guys let me spell pedal wrong people usually catch me up on that
    Happy new year all, go out a ride something

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey, it passed the spell checker!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Shows you how long it's been since I rode something with pedals
    drew a picture in the snow for y'all guess what it is