Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Give Up Riding

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Trying to Give Up Riding

I decided to quit riding. I have sold two bikes. I have three left to sell.

Had a nice Saturday morning breakfast ride this weekend. And on Sunday, I took the other two bikes for a rip just so they were not neglected.

I have decided that the most dangerous part of riding is that it displaces physical activity. Had I not gone for those rides, I might have gone for a bicycle ride or a run instead. Healthier activities.

It is true that I could have done both, but I did not. I have found that when I ride, I tend to be less physically active.

Yes Trials, I know trials riding and dirt biking is physically active. Not happening.

I enjoyed riding this weekend and I am really having a hard time pulling the trigger on getting rid of the rest of the bikes.

I am convinced this is what I want to do, but still difficult to do it.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    I hear ya, and good on you for knowing when to say “when”. Most of us will get there in our own time, some of us have already made and executed that choice.

No judgment from me. I’ve got mucho respect for those who bow out before they come close to reaching the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

I believe I have been a safer rider due to the guidance I have received on this site. I have not followed all the advice I have received. But I have heeded a lot of it. And I have been engendered with an attitude of safety.

Thanks for that. Perhaps you saved my life or helped me avoid an injury.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Come up and go fishing or trials riding some time
    the riding you could do with me the fishing would be with my wife, she's the fisher person I'm the rider

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I noticed that when I returned to bicycling my annual motorcycling mileage reduced greatly. I probably spend about the same amount of time on two wheels as I always did, I just move a lot slower.

Same here
    except your exercise now comes from peddling, and mine comes from riding funny looking motorcycles with no seat.

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post

I have decided that the most dangerous part of riding is that it displaces physical activity. Had I not gone for those rides, I might have gone for a bicycle ride or a run instead. Healthier activities.
    If you want to quit because you feel you're getting too old, fair enough and good for you, but if you reckon the most dangerous thing about your riding is that it's getting in the way of bike rides or runs that you "might" go on, I'd try pretty hard to do both and see if you can make it work, before pulling the plug on something you're clearly still passionate about. Surely you can find 30 minutes, 3 times a week? I will often choose a hike or bicycle ride over a motorbike ride, purely for the exercise (even though I'd rather take the motorbike out).
    2018 Honda CRF250L ('Rhonda')
    2015 Honda CB500X ('Betty')
    Previous bikes:
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki')
    2007 Honda CBR125
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Solution: Pick a storage locker 30 minutes away by foot or bicycle. Keep motorcycles there. Continue to go on motorcycle rides, just don't drive to the locker.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Trials bicycle carrier on the motorcycle

I can see the attraction but it sure looks like a lot of work peddling:

and apparently you don't need very much riding gear.

For the moment I am going down to two bikes. Sold Harley and DRZ, Versys is for sale.

Keeping the Honda CB500X and KLX250S for now. They are the most fun and easiest to ride.

I will have two bikes so I can ride with my kids. May keep them for a while. Don't take up too much room in the garage.