Thread: Hit a deer in my car

Hit a deer in my car

I was driving about 25 mph in a wooded area where I drive regularly and see dear all the time. They usually run away into the woods but sometimes just slowly cross the road oblivious to any vehicle. This one jumped out of nowhere and took a hit on the front of the car on the passenger side. There are bushes and heavy vegetation on both sides of the road.

Despite the low speed, the car has significant damage but is drivable and will be repaired next week. The scary thought, of course, is what would have happened if I were riding the motorcycle. I scan both sides of the road fairly closely when I ride but the visibility is poor and is blocked completely by vegetation in some areas.

/End of rant.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Had something similar happen to my wife and myself on a real dark night a couple weeks ago, except the wife managed to swerve and panic brake to avoid a collision, the little fella stopped short with only 1 foot to spare. I was very impressed she managed to miss him. It happens, but the way I see it they have as much right to be here as we do. Sorry to hear about the car damage, is the deer ok? Nobody ever seems to mention that part.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Last summer our then-16 year old son was driving us all to the lake, boat trailer hitched up with our Ram 2500 diesel truck. Deer strike...none of us saw the deer because the road is narrow with some vegetation in that area...and we were all paying attention. We just saw the ears barely above the hood when it hit. It was ugly since we had the boat, too. Hubby had JUST waxed the boat so we blamed it on him. (I will spare you the gory details of what a white boat looks like after a deer strike.)

Amazingly, the truck was driveable and hubby still has a bit of a smiley face to his lower front grill. LOL

It's the same route I will also take quick jaunts on the motorcycle and it always worries me. A previous member of this board has had a deer strike on his motorcycle on that same road. I try to stay toward the center line, where appropriate, so I hopefully can see it first and then react.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    My buddy hit a skunk once, that was pretty nasty, he went right up the white line too.