Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlight High & Low Beams & that "City Light"

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Two issues here:

Issue 1> Responding to spam only invites more spam. Normally I wouldn't respond in a thread that had spam, but since it has already been responded to, well...let's just say another response will neither help nor hinder damage control.

Anyways, for those not in the know --- whether it's a brand new thread opening with spam or a spammer "responding" to an existing thread, DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.

See, what happens is this: one method that spammers make money by is selling info to other spammers concerning what locales are active. In other words, if a spammer posts his spam and gets one hit or twenty, he knows he has found an active site and sells this info to other spammers. Result? More spam from other spammers. Like I said, another response to a spammed thread does not help or hinder damage control.

If at anytime you come across this stuff, just leave it be and one of the mods will be along to take care of it. Resist the urge to respond though, instead simply report it --- you'll see a black triangular symbol with an exclamation point at the lower left corner of every post, click on that to report any post that is spam. But do not respond to it.

Why shouldn't I reply to spam?

Because every account that posts spam clicks that little "subscribe to this thread" toggle. As soon as something is posted in it, the spamming begins in earnest. While moderators delete a lot of spam, as a moderator & admin at other boards I have noticed that there's an interesting trend:

When I check the ISP of a spammer, I find that there are thousands of different ISPs, and after a good night's spamming, we might get ten to thirty posts from ten to thirty different ISPs. After just ONE thread is replied to, we get double or more, over half of which are from the same ISP. Guess which one?

If you said "whatever ISP is the same as the one in the thread that was replied to," you are correct. Not only does replying to a spam post or spammed thread increase our workload, it rewards you with more spam.

Aren't you guys using CAPTCHA?

IIRC, this site (like many others) utilizes it. I don't like it, there are better methods to stop spamming but sadly they entail limitations to legitimate new members --- such as a minimum post count before attachments/pics/links can be posted. People tend to be pretty demanding about this on any board, more so in this day and age of instant social gratification. Unfortunately what they really want, unbeknownst to them, is a crappy defense and a board full of spam.

Why do you dislike CAPTCHA?

I'm only speaking on my behalf and nobody else here at BBO. Apart from the extremely obvious, it doesn't work against live spammers. Yep, that's what we get hit by: live spammers. No, nobody else in the west would do this for a living, but in places where three bucks a week will keep a roof over your head, you had better believe this has become something of a cottage industry: use robots to find forums and shoot links to live people to get past the CAPTCHA. Subscribe to the threads and turn it back over to the bots who wait ever so electronically & patiently for a hit.

You don't even have to speak the same language: "e-mail address" looks pretty much the same in all languages, and simply match the CAPTCHA characters to the little shapes on your keyboard, and boom-- you're an instant spamming machine.

What can we do to help?

Don't reply to any thread with spam in it. Report it instead.

Issue 2> Far be it for me to tell anyone how to run their board. However I merely speak from decades of forum experience (well, two is still proper for pluralization), so take it for what that's worth. Mods, you need to do more than just remove the link. You need to remove the spammer as well, because not only can he/she report this forum to other spammers, but he/she may also return at any time to inundate the board with, you guessed it...more spam. Best thing to do is kick the spamming "member" (broken English and zero relevance to the topic are your first clues), and delete the post(s).

I don't have the first clue why a spammer does it, I mean even legitimate members rarely if never go back too far to find an older thread, but spammers tend to find old (if not ancient) threads to reply to. Obviously not the case here, but it's another clue when an old thread suddenly gets necromanced.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Shadow! hows it going,
    I thought the bar was empty or closed or something. Getting lots of riding in, bought any new bikes?

I did

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought and flipped a classic 85 Rebel recently. I didnt even own it long enough to snap any pics.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com