Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you suppose

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar

What do you suppose

I went out to the canyons early yesterday (4th of July) and had a really great ride. I was quick (at least for me), smooth and maintained a safe but aggressive pace all day. I felt really good pushing hard. My lines were good, tires were grippy, zero SRís even in heavy leans and somewhat blind corners and in short everything just felt great.

I went out today and fumbled and fussed all morning. Grabbed too much brake 4 or 5 times. Startled by on-comers in blind corners. Couldnít get my lines sorted and was barely trusting the bike in tight leans. Couldnít get trail braking coordinated. Couldnít do anything really. I finally folded and came home.

What do you supposed gets into our heads that can make such a difference in just one day?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    It absolutely happens like that sometimes. Time of day seems to be a factor for me, I do my best in the early morning and then it slowly goes down hill from there, possibly physical conditioning there. Then there are just those days when it feels like you can almost do anything <- That's how it was the cold fall day I tried to do a wheelie turn on the floating dock and put my bike into 10 feet of water. :I nearly drowned!

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I think days like today are to humble us and keep us safe from getting too cocky from days like your July 4th.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    I think days like today are to humble us and keep us safe from getting too cocky from days like your July 4th.
    Ah yes perhaps youíre right Missy

That said Iíve been riding for many years now. The last 10 plus Iíve committed and dedicated myself to every tool available to advance my skills and safety level. Iíve lost count of my instructional track-day weekends. Last year I completed my 4th California Superbike weekend. I take the basic MSF course almost every year, just so I donít begin to take things for granted and Iím always seeking out new resources of new info. Iím constantly putting into practice every technique Iíve learned over the years and I feel like my commitment to raising my skill and safety level is one of if not the primary component of why I love to ride. Every ride, every ride is a calculated attempt in implementing those concepts learned over the last 25 years. That, in the end, was the crux of my post in that itís curious one day putting to task skills learned works so well and the very next day, not so much.

I seen a lot of ugly mayhem over the years created by foolish riding but Iím pretty confident, at least for me, the question posed has nothing to do with being cocky

Motorcycle safety courses to support the concepts of road safety
    Race track time to teach you to go around corners fast

So much more a motorcycle can do! but you're going to want a silly little dirt bike to get there

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Motorcycle safety courses to support the concepts of road safety
    Race track time to teach you to go around corners fast

So much more a motorcycle can do! but you're going to want a silly little dirt bike to get there
    Yes well my very closest friend (and riding friend) is a complete desert rat. He’s got the two dirt bikes with the trailer and often makes a weekend with his family. He’s also a better rider than me of which I’d guess barnstorming the desert has helped make him so. Nothing “silly” about his riding or bikes Both Valentino and Marquez train on dirt bikes so there’s that.

Maybe the bug will hit me one day but here to fore hasn’t yet. So tough to committing to run all the way up (or out) to the desert and then like I mentioned the cost of the trailer, a dedicated tow vehicle and the ungoshly registration fees, where to tuck the trailer away when not in use etc. Makes the concept difficult for an L.A. guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Yes well my very closest friend (and riding friend) is a complete desert rat. Heís got the two dirt bikes with the trailer and often makes a weekend with his family. Heís also a better rider than me ...
    That's the guy you should be trying to follow

The other thing is desert riding is still go fast riding, to experience something completely different you need to incorporate some vertical and that is when it really starts to become full body exercise.

trials bike might work for you, is 160 pounds, you can stuff it in the trunk of a full sized car or hang it off a back bumper pretty easy, totally useless in the desert but awesome in the mountains <- you guys have mountains,
    there is much to be learned from riding mountains such as riding an off-camber!

Where are these guys riding relative to you? -> https://www.socaltrials.com/club-breakdown
    that looks pretty awesome.
    Do a day ride to one of their events, arrive early not late see if anybody there can ride good
    you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Where are these guys riding relative to you? -> https://www.socaltrials.com/club-breakdown
    that looks pretty awesome.
    Do a day ride to one of their events, arrive early not late see if anybody there can ride good
    you won't regret it.
    Looks fun. They’re out in the desert somewhere since they’re talking about riding seasons and arresters. Probably anywhere from 2 to 4 hours out not withstanding 7.1 earthquakes and traffic(I don’t know which is worse). They’re appealing to those from Los Angeles to San Diego. That’s probably 200 miles south to north. Big territory. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a club my friend Nate belongs to.

I’d probably need a little more time than the television industry affords me right now. Maybe my next contract negotiations i’ll angle for Fridays off

I know what you mean about the distances being a problem, is a huge territory up here too, takes 4 days drive just to get out of Ontario if I head west. Our events are usually On any Sunday.
    Last edited by Trials; 07-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.