Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas is a bit of a different animal (and hello everyone)

Texas is a bit of a different animal (and hello everyone)

So my riding experience is weird. I passed the MSF in 2017, just to buy a spyder. I know that there is an easier three wheeled license course, but my spyder was coming in two days and the three wheeled classes are few and far between. In any case, I loved the F3. It had some get up and go.

Then I decided to give two wheeled motorcycles a go, because... hey I did the class and had a license. Plus two wheeled motorcycles seem like they are free compared to the higher end Can-Ams. So for my first bike, I bought something (just saw it isn't on your list of beginner bikes!) a Suzuki Boulevard C50T, because it was cheap and looked comfortable (meh). It was a bit like lumber truck, but not terrible as I'm nearly 300lbs and just shy of six feet tall. I didn't get a great deal of confidence on it, but I never dropped it. I liked it as it is really just a motorcycle, there are not many frills (except the HTT shifter, which makes me hope I can get used to 1d5u now). The problem with the suzuki is, it was done at 75 mph. I really had to push the bike to get it to 70+ which is actually below the speed limit on some roads in Texas. I like to keep up with traffic! So it was bigger and clunky. I sold it and now I'm bikeless). I had it for a year and put about 600-700 miles on it, so I guess some skills are developing (but I still feel like a total noob). Most of those miles were highway, and highway is the easiest driving.

So now, I'm looking at these "adventure bikes" and thinking they might be a better choice. Lighter more responsive, some extra features (some have automatic transmission, some have abs, some have anti stall features). I'm consider these bikes:

Honda NC 750 DCT - will it at least go 80 on a highway with a fat dude driving it?
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - (I take the highways to back roads of varying road surface quality)
    Suzuki Vstrom 1000 - If the 650 won't go the speed limit, I may have to "buy the bigger bike". The 1000 is psychologically scarier for me, because I do not want to show off or do an accidental wheelie.

I guess I could try the 650 and see what happens. Does anyone own one, are they comfortable? Does anyone recommend the NC 750? My lower back seems to ache after a while of riding on the boulevard. Could just be me not being used to riding and being out of shape.

I'm thinking possibly get the 650 or Honday 750, get another year of riding under my belt and then take the advanced rider course (then upgrade to the 1,000). But if the other two bikes can't keep up with traffic, I may be forced to just jump right in with the 1,000, kind of like what I did with the boulevard.

Every review I see loves the Vstrom. I aslo need some cargo space.

Also, I might be rambling. I'm probably rambling. Are any of my concerns valid? Should I be looking at sport tourers?
    Last edited by Dresmith; 06-25-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personal observation? Freeway riding is the endgame for beginning riders, not the starting point. You need to develop skills in braking and avoidance maneuvers and learning to do so at 80mph (posted west Texas speed limits) is the steepest learning curve you could put yourself into.

One of many reasons why touring bikes are not beginner bikes.

If you're looking at sport/touring bikes and want something beginner friendly, you should be looking at the likes of a CB/CBR500 or 650 Versys at the upper end, or their cruiser siblings like the CMX500 or 650 Vulcan S (the latter of which, if purchased new, can be acquired in one of three ergonomic packages that fits you best).
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Hello Texas
    Add: the type of bike makes a bigger difference to the road speed it is suited to as you have already discovered, cruisers are for cruising the boulevard, sport bikes are for going crazy fast, sport touring bikes eat up highway, dirt bikes are for dirt roads and adventure bikes well adventure bikes are standard ergonomic motorcycles fitted with massive square luggage boxes and imho about as off road capable as the family car.

Honda NC is a maxi scooter format bike, built from a very small Honda car motor chopped in half. It performs like the smallest Honda car ever built with the motor chopped in half. ... but it gets great fuel milage.

You're a Big guy, easy twice my size, if I want to go riding with a passenger and ride highway speeds I would ride my BMW. BMW makes a decent handling bike built to very high standards and fitted with high quality brakes and suspension components, on average BMW are very capable highway performers. (cops ride BMW in europe) They fit large people. ... you should go BMW shopping. Will it be too much bike to start on :/ yes but people have done it, most american motorcycle cops who didn't ride bikes before they joined the force learned on a Harley (the biggest slowest widest most shaking beast on the tarmac). Will you ever become a great rider doing that :/ probably not, the learning curve is huge and life is too short.

Find somebody experienced to ride with, that will absolutely make you learn way faster and stay slightly safer in the process. Comfort? No motorcycle is going to be particularly comfortable, motorcycles are not about comfort they are about riding, if you want long haul comfort get an F350 dually diesel with upgraded seats and haul your motorcycles around with it

I like to ride the highway to the back roads... where it can get gravelly, a little muddy, low water crossings, etc.

BMW sells a bike for you, is big, is expensive, is very very nice, easier to work on then most people let on.
    Do Not take on passengers until you are a very skilled rider. <- as in literally remove the passenger pegs.

I would not have to remove pegs, I won't let anyone on my bike. It's not even a temptation. I'm not really looking for big and expensive right now. Well big enough to keep up with traffic, not looking to do any fancy maneuvers.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I am on my second Wee Strom and I love the bike. It does everything I ask it to....Iron Butt, dirt roads and commuting back and forth to work on the freeway at 80 mph. I have also done tent camping, 2 up with my daughter, for 4 nights from it. So it had us 2 and gear for two females (LOL). Between the 2 of us, we weigh 330 lbs or so.

It is a big, heavy bike for off roading, though. The bike CAN do it, but my skill level holds it back. haha

No worries about speeds on freeways. It will go faster than legal speed limits.

The opposite side to what Shadow stated about the freeways...everyone is going the same direction, hopefully, so that is a nice benefit of the freeway. No left turners across you...typically. But...there is a need to watch for others changing lanes, esp if you're hanging out in their blind spot. Just like any riding, freeways have their advantages. (They are not my favorite because they are boringly straight here.)

Welcome to our lil corner of the internet!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Dresmith View Post
    I would not have to remove pegs, I won't let anyone on my bike. It's not even a temptation. I'm not really looking for big and expensive right now. Well big enough to keep up with traffic, not looking to do any fancy maneuvers.
    You get what you pay for in motorcycles.
    When I was a little kid riding my second ever motorcycle :I looked at BMW's in the showroom and thought omg they must be ridden by giants! ... trust me, at near 300# you are a giant., some form of R nineT might be perfect.

... I'm still on my first BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    I am on my second Wee Strom and I love the bike. It does everything I ask it to....Iron Butt, dirt roads and commuting back and forth to work on the freeway at 80 mph. I have also done tent camping, 2 up with my daughter, for 4 nights from it. So it had us 2 and gear for two females (LOL). Between the 2 of us, we weigh 330 lbs or so.

It is a big, heavy bike for off roading, though. The bike CAN do it, but my skill level holds it back. haha

No worries about speeds on freeways. It will go faster than legal speed limits.

The opposite side to what Shadow stated about the freeways...everyone is going the same direction, hopefully, so that is a nice benefit of the freeway. No left turners across you...typically. But...there is a need to watch for others changing lanes, esp if you're hanging out in their blind spot. Just like any riding, freeways have their advantages. (They are not my favorite because they are boringly straight here.)

Welcome to our lil corner of the internet!
    Thanks Missy, this post is helpful. I just wanted to make sure turning the throttle 1/120th of inch doesn't do a wheelie! I think it comes down to personal preference as regards to highways/city. I'm much more comfortable on a highway than in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't ride in blindspots, I did pick up a few skills from my Can Am and my boulevard. Do you do your own maintenance? if you take it to the shop, is it expensive? I've never had a chain driven bike. Plus Texas freeways are mostly long and straight. My opinion would probably be different if I was in the rockies!
    Last edited by Dresmith; 06-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.

My friends Dad had a BMW when I was little and it was like a yacht to me then!