Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Save a life or make an enemy

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    I don't understand the distinction between a car and a motorcycle in your statement. It's a common one; not just you.
    The distinction for me is that a motorcycle is more demanding to operate and therefore impairment is more hazardous.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    But on a motorcycle you are not going to do anywhere near the damage
    unless you are riding at warp speed

+ I haul heavy weighted 5th. wheel trailers behind a 1 ton truck, I gotta be 100% on the ball.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    The distinction for me is that a motorcycle is more demanding to operate and therefore impairment is more hazardous.
    Yeah, that is the distinction I don't get. I am not sure why "Impairment is hazardous" isn't the end of the story when talking either vehicle.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

I like Beer makes you stupid better,
    Impairment can even mean sleep depravation.
    ... lots of people still die and kill from falling asleep behind the wheel.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personally I fail to see the difference between impaired driving and finger banging on a phone while driving.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Personally I fail to see the difference between impaired driving and finger banging on a phone while driving.
    I agree with this. I will not text and drive. I judge my 0.04% alcohol self to be less impaired than my texting self. But I will talk on the phone while driving a car. I will not talk on the phone while riding a motorcycle. I do not use helmet headphones while riding a motorcycle as I consider those to be an impairment.

I will not drive while sleepy. My sleepy self is more impaired than my 0.04% self.

My 59 year old unimpaired self is impaired relative to my 25 year old self. At least physically. My judgement may be a bit better now than at age 25.

Perhaps I am deluding myself, but I believe my 0.04% alcohol self is capable of operating a car safely enough.

Many years ago on a far away planet, several friends got together with dirt bikes in a remote sand pit, object of the day was to determine affects of beer on your ability to jump dirt bikes Into the sand pit, was a 100+ foot plus run with 2 foot vertical at top, you had to land it like one of those big olympic ski jumps before the bottom and in enough time to slow down, or a rag doll crash over the bars was imminent. All had been doing this for hours without significant incident. Next up was to drink 1 beer and try again, all started making mistakes, at 2 beers everybody crashed but nobody cared, at 3 beers nobody even cared to ride any more, all were way too dehydrated.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    determine affects of beer on your ability to jump dirt bikes
    We did a less rigorous examination of the impact of beer on bowling in college league play. We concluded that up to two beers bowling ability improved, after that, it declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    We did a less rigorous examination of the impact of beer on bowling in college league play. We concluded that up to two beers bowling ability improved, after that, it declined.
    I suspect you don't get nearly as dehydrated inside an air conditioned bowling ally, dehydration is a huge contributor to physical impairment, alcohol in the human body dehydrates you so the more you drink the more your body feels the effect of alcohol dehydration.