Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save a life or make an enemy

Save a life or make an enemy

47% of all motorcycle fatalities involve what? Yep Alcohol.

Visit here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihzBIPa00I

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    No surprise there, alcohol is evil stuff, it can kill you slow or it can kill you fast. Alcohol consumption combined with anything dangerous that requires your wits to operate will probably make it happen fast.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At a safety seminar I attended in 2017, it was pointed out that, overall, highway deaths attributed to alcohol are dropping. But crash deaths attributed to impairment were the same... Cannabis impairment is rising to fill the gap.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    At a safety seminar I attended in 2017, it was pointed out that, overall, highway deaths attributed to alcohol are dropping. But crash deaths attributed to impairment were the same... Cannabis impairment is rising to fill the gap.
    I wonder if this is actually true or whether it appears to be true because we are now testing for Cannabis impairment more now than we did in the past. Perhaps Cannabis impairment has not changed much, it is just being identified more often.

I also wonder how Cannabis impairment is being identified. It is my understanding that urine, blood and saliva tests identify use within the past days, weeks or months but do not detect current impairment.

This makes these tests difficult to use in court. Those who oppose legalizing Cannabis sometimes cite the difficulty in measuring Cannabis impairment as a regulatory difficulty with legal Cannabis.

Either way, riding impaired is a really bad idea. I will drive a car after a drink or two (well be low legal limits). But I will not get on a motorcycle after any alcohol consumption at all.

There is Beer and chainsaws stuff that we know does not mix.

No comment, on all the other drugs that mess you up or enhance your performance or both to some degree.

Just a question though:
    Isn't Cannabis on the list of performance enhancing drugs banned by the Olympic games people?

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post

Either way, riding impaired is a really bad idea. I will drive a car after a drink or two (well be low legal limits). But I will not get on a motorcycle after any alcohol consumption at all.
    I don't understand the distinction between a car and a motorcycle in your statement. It's a common one; not just you.

You do know you can get a DUI even if under legal limits, correct? The statute here in Arizona says, "impaired to the slightest degree." We have traffic survival school in addition to motorcycle rider ed, and a DUI for under our .08 legal limit is a very real thing.

Edited to add: I attended a safety summit in Colorado about a year ago. It was noted they were dealing with an increased number in multiple-impairing drugs now. People using one to counteract the other.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Can any body else here get high off half a beer now that you are older?
    or maybe I just developed some weird intolerance towards the stuff.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like my sig says...

"Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Emphasis on the last two being applicable to this discussion.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I also wonder how Cannabis impairment is being identified. It is my understanding that urine, blood and saliva tests identify use within the past days, weeks or months but do not detect current impairment.
    Generally, with autopsies (fatal crashes, remember), it is possible to determine how recent the drugs in question were ingested/inhaled.

But, to your first point, starting to look at something will show a massive increase in its reported occurrence, most certainly. Retroactively, things like HIV have been found going back decades before we knew about them being a problem. The recent "heroin epidemic" has been around pretty much continuously since it "became a problem" in the 70's, but it was ignored for a couple of decades.

Radio receivers in cars have been a distraction to driving long before FaceTwit came along. One of my nephew's crashed his mother's car because he didn't like the song on "her" radio station, and was trying to tune "his" station in.

Frankly, the move to autonomous vehicles can't come soon enough for some of the people out there DESPERATE to distract/impair themselves.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)