Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Living the Lie...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Perhaps the bike I would like the best would be the CB500F but with more old standard looking styling.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    The Rebel is a cost-effective bike if you accept it for what it is.
    Therein lies the problem, I just can't stomach YABOB. It's far cheaper and easier to YABOB something that isn't (even if it means actual powder coating instead of rattle canning) than it is to un-YABOB one that is.

I mean I like an all-black bike, with all black meaning JUST THE BODYWORK...but it still needs to be offset with chrome to look good. Case in point, my '12 Rebel:

BEFORE

AFTER

Perhaps the bike I would like the best would be the CB500F but with more old standard looking styling.
    That's exactly what Honda was doing for the Euro/Asian market before the bike returned to our shores.

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Clearly you can make a strong case for spending $2K on a nice old Rebel vs $6K on a new one. Especially with your taste for style and mechanical skills. But for somebody who wants new, under warranty, fuel injection and who likes the look of the new Rebels out of the box, it seems like a solid option.

Maybe a Rebel with a trailer! (THAT would be unique!)
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Clearly you can make a strong case for spending $2K on a nice old Rebel vs $6K on a new one.
    I paid $500 for that grey one.

Especially with your taste for style and mechanical skills. But for somebody who wants new, under warranty, fuel injection and who likes the look of the new Rebels out of the box, it seems like a solid option.
    Therein lies the problem. I could never get those parts plated no matter how much I was willing to spend. You can't polish something that has been powder coated, at least not without compromising the integrity as the PC is bonded on a molecular level versus on the surface. Without being able to polish, plating isn't going to happen. That means fabricating an entire exhaust system in stainless steel or raw steel. That means finding wheels that might fit the unique axles or machined axles for whatever wheels I would swap. Not a chance in hell of finding raw aluminum engine covers as the sporty CB/CBR covers are also PC/anodized in either black or copper. I'd have to find other model fork lowers that are applicable (another snowball's chance in hell). In other words, I would have to get the new Not-Rebel free and I'd still end up paying a fortune.

Or I could hold my breath and wait for the YABOB trend to finally meet its overdue extinction at which point Honda MIGHT consider offering chrome for the same overpriced cost of their powder coated/anodized parts (and honestly, it's not just Honda or any other OEM, the aftermarket also sells cheaper powder coated parts at the same price as the more expensive chrome plated parts). Considering how Honda (and others) established that trend back in the 90s by replacing metal parts with much-less-expensive-at-the-same-price plastic parts, I'm not holding my breath for inexpensive-priced-as-more-expensive parts going away. Yet many customers prove each year that they don't mind the dealers bending them over.

Only one company so far offers bikes in both YABOB and chrome trim (well, Indian offers one modelin both but charges more for the cheaper YABOB), it's no surprise that the sole company is the one with an aggressive marketing department. Why the rest of the OEMs choose to alienate a generous portion of the cruiser market is beyond comprehension, but then again that might also serve to explain the huge gaps in their total annual sales.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I notice the 2019 Harley models like the Iron are every bit as free of chrome plate, I think chrome is being phased out as a cost saving measure. Is like cast wheels, they want you to want them because they can sell bikes to you at the same price and make more profit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I think chrome is being phased out as a cost saving measure. Is like cast wheels, they want you to want them because they can sell bikes to you at the same price and make more profit.
    Chrome is definitely being phased out in favor of the less expensive process, there are only a handful of chromium mines on the planet and the stuff just keeps getting more expensive. Like you said, they want to sell the lesser expense at the same price (or in Indian's case, more). As long as buyers are ignorant enough to fall for it, they'll continue to do it.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Holy! just read this on another motorcycle forum:
    "I am an 18 y/o male looking to get a motorcycle for commuting back and forth from college. I have always been interested in motorcycles and have done extensive research. My problem is with insurance, I have gotten many quotes over the past few days for about $9000/year or $750/month."
    The motorcycle in question is a Kawasaki Versys X300 and we live in a country that has government funded health care and a short riding season.

Blog Entries
    Rest assured, Trudeau is doing his best to make things worse.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Rest assured, Trudeau is doing his best to make things worse.
    He's federal, vehicle insurance is a provincial issue.
    ... would be nice if he did get involved with it!
    Last edited by Trials; 06-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.