Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living the Lie...

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Living the Lie...

Ever since I started riding --- and more to the point, riding to work --- I never had a suitable place to stow my riding gear. Typically I had a <1 cubic foot locker at best, enough to stuff a jacket and/or half shell helmet. When I got a FF helmet I was able to stow it in an office or other semi-protected area where it wouldn't likely walk away on its own accord, but the locker situation remained: not much for any other gear beyond a jacket.

Long story made short: I rode to work with polyester pants as there was no place to stow riding pants.

This went on since 1997 until now. My current job is an outdoor position that mandates cargo shorts as part of the uniform, along with the usual not-locker for my gear (re: just a jacket) and an office to stow my FF helmet (with gloves stashed inside the helmet). Suffice it to say I still ride to work, albeit now in shorts. I was pretty nervous at first, and after a few days I realized I had been living a lie: those polyester pants I'd been riding to work in for the past two+ decades They offer the same degree of not-protection the short do.

The upside is I'm finally sporting a decent tan.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    My son got third degree burns from the pipes when he dumped his KLX 250 S wearing shorts. I suspect long pants would have helped. Perhaps not polyester pants. They might have melted and made matters worse.

I usually wear long pants. Although I find mesh riding pants over shorts to be cooler than jeans. I can fit most of my gear in my 47 liter Givi Top Case. I have to choose between boots and helmet. If I wear my boots, I can lock helmet, jacket, pants and gloves in top case. If I bring a change of footwear, I can lock the boots in the top case and lock the helmet to the side of the bike.

Would not look too cool on a Shadow Shack bike. But works great my bikes.

I used it on my 1992 Softail. Looked decidedly uncool, but it worked well.

Having a place to store my gear when I get where I am going is the main use I have for the top case. Although it is also useful for running errands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Would not look too cool on a Shadow Shack bike.
    Let's not overlook the fact that top cases for all eight Shadow Shack bikes $$$ = Shadow Shack bike #9 $$$
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

I have a universal adapter plate that allows me to put my top case on most bikes that have a rear rack. I can put my top case on any of my bikes. Although when I put the 47 liter top case on the KLX 250S it looks out of place. But it turns that bike into a great commuter bike.

Still rear racks for 8 bikes would not be cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    top cases for all eight Shadow Shack bikes $$$ = Shadow Shack bike #9 $$$
    Or..... all eight Shadow Shack bikes $$$$ = One really sweet bike set up exactly how you need it.....

All a matter of how you maximize your smiles.

Blog Entries
    What, ONE bike?!? That's just crazy talk.

I have four set up exactly how I want them, three more that I'm working on, and one I'm not sure what direction to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post

Still rear racks for 8 bikes would not be cheap either.
    And some wouldn't even be able to accomodate a rack. Now if they made a case I could add to longer forks that also doubles as fairing...

Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Now if they made a case I could add to longer forks that also doubles as fairing...

Perhaps something somebody needs to invent.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But a fairing would go against his signature...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

those polyester pants I'd been riding to work in for the past two+ decades They offer the same degree of not-protection the short do.
    Well yes, and no.

The upside is I'm finally sporting a decent tan.
    AH HA! You've stumbled onto the "other problem." This one being possibly "lethal." With your intense sun energy, during the summer months in the desert, you are subjecting your skin to UV energy at very high levels. While a "slide on asphalt/concrete" is certainly more dramatic than accumulative skin damage, the latter can be lethal, while the former really isn't. (Unless you hit something like a Buick or guard rail, then all bets are off.)
    Here's my solution~ Since you prefer to wear shorts during work, it would be worth it to get an Aerostitch suit that can be rolled up into the "<1 cu. ft. locker." As far as your helmet goes, I got nothing.

I have a similar situation at my work. My locker is probably 18" high by 12 X 12. I put my jacket/over pants in there daily. My helmet sits on my desk top. Nobody messes with my stuff, (that I know of!) My locker doesn't even have a lock on it.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    But a fairing would go against his signature...
    Only if it extends above the headlight. I'm simply talking about an aerodynamic shaped case that can occupy the real estate between the headlight and lowers.

Not that I'd want shifting loads affecting my steering input.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Well yes, and no. AH HA! You've stumbled onto the "other problem." This one being possibly "lethal." With your intense sun energy, during the summer months in the desert, you are subjecting your skin to UV energy at very high levels.
    I use 100 SPF.

Interestingly enough, my doctor has me on vitamin-D supplements as my levels are low despite all the milk I ingest. It will be interesting to see how those levels have changed since taking on the new job.

Since you prefer to wear shorts during work,
    No preference, it's the uniform. I have to wear them. From November-February it's polyester pants, for the other eight months the shorts are part of the summer uniform.

it would be worth it to get an Aerostitch suit that can be rolled up into the "<1 cu. ft. locker."
    Can a full suit really be compressed that much? My ventilated armored jacket barely fits in there, I can't imagine double the material squeezing into that compartment.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer