Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living the Lie...

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The key issue is the armor; an Aerostich R3 with no armor could fit in 12x12x12. Tight fit, but it would. But a full set of pads will more than double that requirement.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    When I am without my top case, I run a cable lock through the arms and pant legs of my gear and lock it to the bike. If I was doing this on a daily basis, I would bring a bag to protect my gear from the sun. Might not work too well if it rained. And it does not work for boots.

An interesting form vs function experiment would be to get an optimally functional commuting bike like a big scooter or a small sport touring bike. Something nimble with sufficient storage. I find my dual sport and adventure bikes highly functional.

Then see which bike you ride. Would you gravitate toward the cooler less functional bikes you currently ride? Or would you gravitate toward the more functional.

No judgement. Neither is right nor wrong. Each of us would make different choices.

I had a little bit of this dynamic when I had the Harley Davidson. I found myself riding the Harley the most. The whole riding experience was more enjoyable for me and that was sufficient to offset the less functional aspects of the bike. Kind of makes me wonder why I sold that bike now..... Oh yeah, maintenance..... ugh.....

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So the question is this --- how much protection does an unarmored Aerostitch provide? Are we talking the small jump from the current shorts/polyester pants to denim jeans or is it more like leather chaps (with the difference being the ass & crotch are also covered)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    An interesting form vs function experiment would be to get an optimally functional commuting bike like a big scooter or a small sport touring bike.
    For the most part I ride the fuel efficient 250 Rebel, more so as speculator driven fuel cost increases vault toward the former 2008 levels --- it's $3.40-3.50/gallon here before they nickel & dime you for paying at the pump, which translates to $3.45-$3.60/gallon. Yeah, 2008/$4+ prices are coming soon to a theater near us.

As such it goes three times further on a gallon of gas than my most efficeint truck does, and four times than my less efficent truck...and that's on a ham-fisted throttle. I could net 80mpg if not for that, and I have achieved such on a few attempts.

Something nimble with sufficient storage.
    The Rebel is certainly nimble. Its 16HP constantly serves as a reminder that it's NOT a sport bike.

Currently I only have saddlebags on it, but they're merely throw-overs thrown over the pillion with a bungee cord to keep it from slipping off. As such I can transfer them to any other bike, but they're far from secure storage. I don't foresee a top case being as easily transferable, at least not without eyesore brackets on each bike when said case is not mounted.

Would you gravitate toward the cooler less functional bikes you currently ride? Or would you gravitate toward the more functional.
    No gravitation, although I do take one of the "cooler" bikes to work on occasion. For the most part, it's either the Rebel or my stock Shadow (which is still down for the count due to late-2017's fuel pump fire, I FINALLY got the salvage title from the state of Nevada after more than a year and six attempts).
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yes, I think the Rebel would be a contender for one of the most efficient commuter bikes. I would say my top commuter bike is the CB500X. Similar fuel economy to the 250 Rebel but I have it set up to hold the 47 liter top case and I suspect it is a better highway bike than the Rebel.

Although the Rebel is much cooler. And I do not spend much time on highways. I have been tempted to pick up a Rebel on several occasions.

You buddy Jack is just up the road from me and has this nice one for sale right now.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/d...896303314.html

Blog Entries
    Without armor, an R3 Aerostich has doubled fabric over the front of the legs from above the knee to the bottom of the leg, outside the arms from above elbow to wrist, and the shoulders (they refer to this as the "ballistics", and they can be contrasting colors). The fabric in the butt area is heavier, but not doubled. Above the leg ballistics you have pockets going up to nearly the shoulders, providing extra layers.

So, as far as road rash, it will definitely do better than most jeans, although it is going to be much looser than jeans. I'm not so sure I would want to give up the impact pads, though.

Lately, I've been using Duluth Trading "Firehose" pants as my riding pants, if there isn't a lot of speed involved. Better abrasion resistance than denim, some can have knee pads inserted, stuff like that. They even have a "convertible" type, but they're made from the thinner, stretchier material (not so much abrasion resistance).

Were it me, I'd probably go with a strong duffle bag that can be locked to the seat of the motorcycle. It's not going to provide 100% security, but it would be able to take a set of mesh jacket/pants with armor. Hopefully it can keep the sun off the seat, too.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    ... the most efficient commuter bikes ...

is polyester safe too

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You buddy Jack is just up the road from me and has this nice one for sale right now.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/d...896303314.html
    It's a good thing I don't live there...I've been vying to buy the business as he has been wanting to retire for some time now...and if I lived there I'd probably end up buying every custom bike or part he belts out instead.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Without armor, an R3 Aerostich has doubled fabric over the front of the legs from above the knee to the bottom of the leg, outside the arms from above elbow to wrist, and the shoulders (they refer to this as the "ballistics", and they can be contrasting colors). The fabric in the butt area is heavier, but not doubled. Above the leg ballistics you have pockets going up to nearly the shoulders, providing extra layers.

So, as far as road rash, it will definitely do better than most jeans, although it is going to be much looser than jeans. I'm not so sure I would want to give up the impact pads, though.

Lately, I've been using Duluth Trading "Firehose" pants as my riding pants, if there isn't a lot of speed involved. Better abrasion resistance than denim, some can have knee pads inserted, stuff like that. They even have a "convertible" type, but they're made from the thinner, stretchier material (not so much abrasion resistance).

Were it me, I'd probably go with a strong duffle bag that can be locked to the seat of the motorcycle. It's not going to provide 100% security, but it would be able to take a set of mesh jacket/pants with armor. Hopefully it can keep the sun off the seat, too.
    Fortunately my current job provides indoor parking for the help. I already lost one seat to 2o years of indoor/outdoor parking.

Another issue I would be facing: I work security and wear a duty belt. Not something that goes on and comes off quickly or easily, so I would have to get something "oversized" or else wear pants-below-the-azz gangsta style...the latter of which allows the same protection as the shorts these days. So for either a suit or pants that would no doubt end up with over-length pant legs & sleeves. It would get worse once I go armed, where the gun ends up both concealed and inaccessible.

Try explaining that one if you get pulled over --- "No, I'm not excited...that's a pistol in my pants!"
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    It's a good thing I don't live there...I've been vying to buy the business as he has been wanting to retire for some time now...and if I lived there I'd probably end up buying every custom bike or part he belts out instead.
    Maybe I should buy it and start customizing Rebels. I have a sawzall and some wrenches. That all I need... right?!?

Blog Entries
    No, you need some black rattle-can paint, too.
    Jeff

'13 XT250