Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concours vs. VFR?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    imho you need 2 motorcycles and only one of them should have 4 cylinders.
    Happy shopping

add: the VFR engine is nasty to work on, if you are self servicing that makes it more difficult, if you are paying somebody else to do it that makes it potentially more expensive. Advantage is; the bike is less freight train like then a traverse I-4

add add: very close friend had one of the very first VFR models (750) bike appeared to be wind tunnel designed with no rider on board :/ which made it kinda like trying to ride sitting on top of an airplane wing. Early Concours by comparison was as close as Kawasaki could build to a K100RT BMW which was wind tunnel designed for 2 up riding.
    Last edited by Trials; 05-07-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Thumbs up 1986 bmw k100rs

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
    Want a bike again. First/last bike was a 1994 Honda CB1000. Joined up here only to learn it wasn't the best first bike choice. Served me well - 8 seasons of Chicago riding, 35,000 incident-free miles. I took a proper class over 2 weekends. Loved the inline 4, relatively neutral riding position, big, honking front brake and Honda reliability.

Have not been on a bike since 2015 - 53 years old, 6' 2" 210 lbs. - mostly want something for riding around city and day trips. $2500-3500 budget. .
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...ationFlag=true

... that's just a little over 2 grand US$ and you don't even need to pay our 13% sales tax
    you'll have just enough left over for a nice helmet and gloves

Flirting With The Redline Furious Styles's Avatar
    I'll be test sitting some bikes this weekend. The Concours is out - putting the Versys back into consideration. There is a 919 near me that would be perfect, but it seems close to my old CB1000 (how do I I remove that from my sig? ) and I guess I want something different. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    '94 CB1000

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Chiming in here for the connie.

There is no other bike that will give you as much bang for the buck as a Gen1 concours will. You'll have to wrench a bit to work out the quirks. Like the carb rebuild....and the coolant hose replacement. But that motorcycle for under 2k will take you literally hundreds of thousands of miles. I have a goldwing, and I have a gen1 concours.....the concours is my favorite. I did an ironbutt on the connie, and I can barely do 500 miles on the wing.

It's based on a few things. First, size. Are you tall? If so, then the connie will be a great bike to consider because of its high stature, and its high center of gravity. Yeah, getting around under 5 mph is kinda rough on the connie, especially with a full tank of gas. The buzziness is mitigated with bar ends, harmonic balancer adjustment, and good grips. I just lean into the buzz, and let my hands get numb after a bit. Helps ease the carpal tunnel. The last 'con' is the styling. Yeah it was designed in the 80s and never really changed until its passing in 2006...but that means parts are easy to come by, and most importantly, they're cheap.

So, onto the pros. This motorcycle will run forever with good maintenance. I dont know who designed the engine, but kudos to them. Also, they are stupid cheap. There's some poor guy trying to sell his 2006 in my area, and he started at 5k...and its slowly been coming down. It's at 3200 now, and it will probably go for 2200-2500, and I want to say it has 25-30k miles. They are super easy to work on, and the COG family is pretty damn helpful. If you give $35/year to the COG group, youll get all sorts of documentation on how to repair various things that will popup over the ownership of a ~20 year old motorcycle.

Again, I've tricked mine out with a RDL seat, all the lighting in the world, and she proved herself on my iron butt ride without so much as a hiccup. Don't overlook the connie until you have an opportunity to really look hard at one. Hell, buy one regardless. I bought a 2002 basket case connie a couple years ago as a project bike for 1200 bucks. All it needed was a new airbox, and I went ahead and had the carb rebuilt, and that thing was stupid fast. You can never have too many motorcycles.
    Last edited by Derick; 05-09-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Helps if you can narrow it down to the type of motorcycle you really want! Go far motorcycle -> Connie BMW H-D etc...
    Go Fast -> MV Agusta etc... Go anywhere Husky etc ... Does it have to serve as a daily ride or is it just a toy?

and it helps to have unlimited budget

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Post deleted by author, disregard
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

IN 50,000+ miles I have replaced the regulator/rectifier on my '99 VFR .. and the oil/oil filter. That is it. (The chain is still the original and the oem reg/rec is a known issue .. the new oem reg/rec is much improved.)

I recall one motorcycle journalist who bought a VFR after doing the usual test ride piece for his magazine. After owning it for 2 years he commented it was great for everything .. but offroad. For that he preferred his XR400 ..
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

I do that sometimes too and then I finally feel bad about neglecting the poor thing and change the fork oil, check the valves, buy new tires and brake pads, flush the brake fluid, patch up the rotting rubber bits, replace the throttle cable and clean the air filter, compression test, rad fluid, fuel filters add clean and balance your carburetors if you have them

OP all big motorcycles are a huge commitment of your time, attention and money a used one is not a clean start point so I hope you know your way around a motorcycle by now because the one you buy will probably need change the fork oil, check the valves, buy new tires and brake pads, flush the brake fluid, patch up the rotting rubber bits, replace the throttle cable and clean the air filter, compression test, rad fluid, fuel filters and add clean and balance your carburetors if the bike has them

Can you have too many motorcycles ?
    to keep serviced and on the road sadly yes.

Shopping Woody's scrap yard tomorrow for brembo brake parts, anybody need anything?

We have a fairly large motorcycle salvage yard close by called "Stockers." They may have some bits to bikes if you run into difficulty locating parts.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.