Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My bike is "stopping in" Neutral (not slipping into) it a lot lately - suggestions?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Check this out; do you have a company? These guys are so sure you will want their product they will let qualified customers demo it.
    http://www.rfsystemlab.us/videoscope...pe-inspection/

...or, you could possibly locate a business or school of higher learning that provides non-destructive testing services, they really do exist, I used to service equipment for some universities that did exactly that.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Borescope cameras to work with phones or tablets are rather cheap nowadays... I've debated on buying one just to play with.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline robardin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    This would be a real long shot and require a ton of luck; fibre optic borescope inspection Might reveal something without taking anything apart. ... that's how you would inspect it if it was a jet engine, but jet engines are designed with that type of inspection in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Borescope cameras to work with phones or tablets are rather cheap nowadays... I've debated on buying one just to play with.
    The real problem is that even if you magically lent me a borescope for free, plus a knowledge of what I was looking for, let's say I found internal damage of the type you're describing as responsible for my shifting woes... What would I do about it? Take my engine apart? I ain't doing that, and I'm sure the shop labor to have qualified technicians with the space and the tools and the time to do so would be quite expensive.

I was hoping for something like "Oh yeah that happened to me once, just run this 10w50 viscosity engine oil with additive X through for a week and things should loosen up nicely", but I guess that was wishful thinking.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Did you post on any of the online Strom pages?
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Sometimes you can get this sort of behavior if the clutch cable or release mechanism is set with too much freeplay.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Sometimes you can get this sort of behavior if the clutch cable or release mechanism is set with too much freeplay.
    How about the chain/sprockets? It's still on the original chain, so it's 9+ years old now, with 32K miles on it, with a lot of city riding.

I have lubed it regularly, but not cleaned it particularly, just squirting it with dry wax chain lube, because this was my first bike with a chain (previous rides had shaft or belt drives), and early on I read/heard somewhere that "you don't need to clean your chain, just lube it"... But now I'm thinking, hmm, why did I believe that?

Sprockets you can tell if they are done by visual inspection, countershaft sprocket will wear out ~4 times as fast unless your rear sprocket is alloy and then they wear out at about the same rate. The best way to know if the chain is done is to look for seized up links, and for chain stretch just buy a new one and lay the old one along side of it to compare the length. It only takes about 4% stretch for the chain to be due for replacement & riding it much longer will trash your sprockets.

I bought a new 120 link 520 chain yesterday for ~80$, sealed chains are well over 100 (canadian$)

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Excellent item to check under the circumstances. If your clutch is cable actuated, replacing an old clutch cable can vastly improve both the operation and feel at the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Excellent item to check under the circumstances. If your clutch is cable actuated, replacing an old clutch cable can vastly improve both the operation and feel at the lever.
    Hmm, my clutch lever is wiggly, has been for some time, again I don't even remember when that started. By which I mean, it has up-and-down movement. It doesn't feel like a sticky clutch cable, I've had that happen to me before, but sure why not, let's replace the lever and cable and the chain and sprockets and use 10w40 oil instead of 5w40, and see if it feels any different.