Quote Originally Posted by CountofQ View Post

I still wonder why the gasohol was listed as a reason for selling the carbed EVO in Norty's post, if regular maintenance is all that's required to combat the effects. Maybe it was the drop in mileage per tank and not the other possible effects we've been discussing.
The carb was just one factor. The other was that I've had that bike for over 20 years, and was "ready for a change." The bike was awesome, overall. Now, about that carb. The jet needle tip would erode fairly quickly in the presence of ethanol laden gasoline, and air/oxygen. This causes drivability problems such as reduced efficiency. A drop in mileage isn't a huge hit costwise, but when calculating range, it can become an issue when riding the wide open spaces known as the desert SouthWest. Not unusual to ride 100 miles in one direction with the hopes of the only gas station in town not being closed/out of gas. The Dyna got 34mpg. The heavier (slightly more powerful) Roadking got 50mpg. Even 2-up. That's just one of the differences between carbs and fuel injection. Trials listed other differences.
Another nice thing about Harleys is that they have hydraulic valve lifters. While these don't offer ultra high rpm, they also don't require the maintenance of valve lash adjusting. This single service has become a cash cow for dealerships that service bikes that need their valves checked/adjusted every 6000/7500 mlles (Yamaha is >20,000 miles on some of their bikes.) For some, this service can run $1000. That's a lot of dough if you ride 15,000 mi. per year.

Also, this brings up another maintenance issue that has been on my mind. Am considering taking the 650 in to the dealership for a full servicing. When is the best time to do a full cleaning, syncing, & carb tuning. I assume the cleaning and syncing could be pretty much anytime, weather/temps not being an issue. But what about adjustments? I'll usually ride when morning Temps are 50F or higher and I think I can avoid heavy rain. But temps reach well above 100F regularly here, mid to late summer. Should those carbs be re-tuned then, or wait until it's somewhere in between, say 80ish.... or does it really matter much.

I understand the Fuel injection does have an advantage over carbs in this regard, as they attempt to adjust. I however am currently riding a dual carb bike, and shopping for a carbed one as well.