Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox raceway visit

Very cool bike! Neil and I were eating tacos in Douglas, AZ when a fellow came up and asked Neil if he was "noshoes" on ADV. Turns out the guy ran into Neil some years back in Mexico and they rode together for a few days.

Anyway I'll get to the point. The guy joined us for dinner and he had just returned from a 2 week ride down in Copper Canyon on his KTM 690 .. the sister of that Husky. He's ridden a lot of bikes and he is sold on the 690/(701) as the best gnarly surface adventure bike going. He's done a number of big offroad rides (1000 miles +) on his and loves it.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    Looks like fun! That much air scares me, though.

And how are the legs today? I remember being more sore than I had ever been after doing a track day on the FZ. I can't imagine it's not similar for this....

If we had more time for all hobbies, I'd love to do this more. It's pretty expensive to use a similar track here. THey also have a veteran's track but it's like $25 each time for one person. Gets expensive for a family!
    Legs that day? Fine.
    A day later? Sort of "tender."
    Today? Crap, what have I done! I'm walking like Walter Brennen from The Real McCoys! (Look it up.)

$25 is a steal for any trackday fee. (Mine wasn't much more than that.)

A typical trackday at Fontana (sport bikes) is $275...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I wouldn't really consider it a track day but not sure why. haha
    Grateful we can pay $75/year and use state trust land to ride. Terrain isn't as fun as the dirt track but still fun.
    I was on craigslist last night looking for a dirt bike. haha It's your and OBX's fault.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Dirtybike=all things good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Dirtybike=all things good!

Been “on the hunt” for a lower/slower offroad bike for da LabRat. Gotta be lightweight too. Probably plated too, but then weight gains quickly at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Been “on the hunt” for a lower/slower offroad bike for da LabRat. Gotta be lightweight too. Probably plated too, but then weight gains quickly at this point.

I was stunned at the place Kanuck Kathi managed to go on a XT225! The lower suspension doesn't allow the speed of my 500exc .. but she got to most of the same places.

... and this has got me thinking how bad I need to get on a roadrace track. There's a new one only 3 hours away I really need to try .. and one thought leads to another .. my son "borrowed" my DRZ .. so I got a space in the garage .. and I think a Ninja 400 would make a GREAT trackbike for an old fellow ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Do they have vintage sidecar racing down your way, that would be an awesome way to waste some time with your kid and I think you even have a nice BSA 650 engine kicking around don't you?

Not on the track today, (altho, I did ride past the entrance.) Rode 130 miles on the Husky today. The more I ride the bike, the more I'm beginning to understand what the engineers were trying to convey. With regards to the powerband, it can be very forgiving. Or, it can take no prisoners. The choice is entirely the operator's. Ask the bike for traction in limited traction conditions, and it'll deliver. Ask the bike for slipper/sliden/roostin' and you can get that too. Just a very forgiving powerband. As long as you don't get "up on the cams..." the bike is very docile.

Here’s a few pics from today’s adventure.