Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain Cleaning

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    My bikes are all sealed chains. I like the idea of clean and efficient. I cannot notice a power difference when I clean and lube the chain, but I feel like the bikes run smoother and quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    #1 failure with cir-clip installation is putting it on backwards, just make sure the squid clip swims like a squid
    and that the side plates are not all installed on the same side of the roller :/ seen that once too.
    I could see myself putting it back on backwards. And I do not know what you mean by on the same side as the roller.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    You know how a chain master link has a plate on one side of the sprocket and a plate on the other side of the sprocket this guy had both plates stacked up on the inside of the chain and the circlip was riding directly on the part with the roller in it.
    If you ever have a sealed chain go bad on a motorcycle you will notice, as you said vibration can result and even crunching sounds if the chain has any seized up links. On a small displacement motorcycle you would notice a profound difference in the performance delivery.
    ... it's just as easy to mess up the install of a rivet type link as a cir-clip master, rivet links you can use once and they are toast so you better buy them in twos or threes.

OK...little late to this, but...I was researching this very thing a couple of months ago (just to see how similar the procedure is to bicycle chain cleaning and lubing -- cuz I've done that a time or two ), and I found this "how to" article and video on the Revzilla site. TL;DR They say Kerosene in a spray bottle works just fine. I'm inclined to believe them, because 1) I trust Revzilla, and 2) They sell the more expensive chain cleaner, but still suggest kerosene.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

It should be noted however that bicycle chain is not a sealed chain, the difference being that sealed chains have exposed rubber and rubber moving in contact with steel surfaces.
    Key is to not use something that is highly corrosive to rubber IF you are running a sealed chain, if you have a plain roller chain you are good to use anything that does not corrode steel. If you are lubricating a sealed chain the best you can hope to do is inhibit corrosion on the exposed steel surfaces and I have no idea what you can do to benefit the exposed rubber bits, because most chemicals are contrary to rubber other the plain old H2O and the Only link you can completely service on a sealed chain is the master link.

Doesn't need to be noted at all. At least, not to me. The reason i started researching was to learn the differences between the types of chains. I mentioned "bicycle chain", because it's a similar procedure that I'm well aware needs different tools. I researched because I wanted to be sure that, if I've done one that I could just as easily do the other. I was not about to affix my bicycle chain cleaner to my Versys and give it a go.

The article I linked contains some great information, and the video in the article actually runs through the procedure. Should be helpful for someone who has never done this before.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Really good video Lezbert. Thanks for sharing!

I need to order 3 chains,
    + 2 sets of grips, one throttle cap, 5 spark plugs and service 2 clutches before spring
    this could get expensive.

Kerosene can be used for cleaning chains (including O, X-ring chains.)
    There may be better things but #1 diesel is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.