Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does this bike exist?

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar

does this bike exist?

hi - I currently ride a honda cb500x and have done a few multi-day trips on it. I might try to take it to Tuk from Vancouver next summer. I like almost everything about it a lot, but I find it very heavy.

What I'd really like is the same bike, but 75 or 100 pounds lighter. That is, I'd like a bike around 400 or 500 cc, no more than 350 lbs wet (the X is 430 wet), not super high (the X is about perfect for me at seat height: 32"), and with a seat you can sit on for at least an hour. And something that I could take off road, mainly gravel FSRs and the like.

I may end up getting something like the honda crf250, but it'd be nice to have something a tad lower, with a bit more power and a wider seat.

Any suggestions?
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki') - sold
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Euro bikes. Light weight bike components cost big money, companies like Husqvarna cater to the light weight performance motorcycle market, Honda sells terrific dependable, rugged consumer bikes but light weight is rarely their forte. Most people shopping for a bike look only to the products from Japan and all of the Japanese manufacturers are targeting the same market, they all make bikes that compare well to each other and fall short in comparison to the lighter more expensive Euro bikes, but the Euro bike offerings are easy to dismiss because of cost or perceived maintenance concerns.
    Try one you'll like it.
    If you are comparing only Japanese bikes to Japanese bikes you have a pretty darn good one already.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Euro bikes. Light weight bike components cost big money, companies like Husqvarna cater to the light weight performance motorcycle market,
    Just looking at Husqvarna bikes on a local dealer's website. Likely candidates are all at least 4 inches taller than my X in the saddle. Even the crf250 is noticeably taller than my X. In general is it possible to lower these high dual sport bikes? Smaller wheels? Shorter shocks?
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by dpwell View Post
    Just looking at Husqvarna bikes on a local dealer's website. Likely candidates are all at least 4 inches taller than my X in the saddle. Even the crf250 is noticeably taller than my X. In general is it possible to lower these high dual sport bikes? Smaller wheels? Shorter shocks?
    Best is to change the saddle believe it or not they offer aftermarket Taller saddles for those bikes.
    you only need to reach the pegs.
    Supermoto versions are likely lower as a result of a much smaller front wheel.
    almost anything with a monoshock linkage suspension is easy to alter the height on slightly and return to normal afterwards with a little bit of machining skills, they use simple flat metal plates that can be replaced with ones that have a slightly different dimension, some models already have them available as aftermarket bits.

You need to try one before you get too worried about saddle heights.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Dual Sports at the lighter end of the spectrum tend to be more off-road oriented and therefore, taller.
    Have you tried sitting on a CRF? While the unladen height may be quite tall, you will find that most of these bikes sag quite a bit under rider weight and the CRF may turn out to be manageable.

From the SuperMoto world smaller diameter rims are available, usually 17", but these can significantly compromise rough road stability and controlability.

A Honda CRF250 Rally is slightly heavier then a 700cc Husqvarna (which is slightly huge imho)
    and the Husky 350 and 450 are much much lighter then either of those.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But if you're doing the Tuk, you may want to think about availability of service or parts in remote places for your lightweight euro bike. Vs something like a drz400 although I have no idea what those weigh
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    But if you're doing the Tuk, you may want to think about availability of service or parts in remote places for your lightweight euro bike. Vs something like a drz400 although I have no idea what those weigh
    I'm pretty sure I'll take my X to Tuk. It's already somewhat modded out for dirt roads (bash plate, etc.). I suspect that on a maintained gravel highway like the Dempster that the weight of the X isn't going to be an issue. But I'm researching lighter machines to give me more offroading/adventure options, as well as being easier to handle as I get older (I'm mid 50s now).
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    But if you're doing the Tuk, you may want to think about availability of service or parts...
    Something that uses Ski-doo parts would be good.

i was thinking the BMW gs 310 might be a good option. There's a rally raid kit for it, plus it's not super heavy or super tall. I think it's around 370 wet.

In general is the difference between heavy bikes and light bikes due to steel vs. aluminium frames and other parts?
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold