Thread: Bicycle Practice

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Bicycle Practice

I have been practicing handling skills on my bicycle.

1. For braking, I applied gentle pressure to the rear brake and then played with the front brake. I could skid the rear tire by applying pressure to the front brake. I am going to play a bit more to see if I can perceive any variability based on how suddenly I hit the front brake. Also thinking about switching the brake levers so front brake on my bicycle is right hand instead of left hand.

2. There is a parking lot near my house with 9' by 21' parking spaces. I practice figure eights in two wide by two long. On my bicycle, I can do a figure eight in one parking space. That is making be wonder if I could do a figure eight on a motorcycle in one space. I am thinking that would be pushing it a bit due to geometric limitations. But I think I can do it in a much smaller area than the two by two I have been using. I have also found it easier to use the brake on the bicycle than on the motorcycle and it has given me a better feel for how I could be using the brake.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    ... Also thinking about switching the brake levers so front brake on my bicycle is right hand instead of left hand...
    I did that to a bicycle once, worked for me but my brother in law got on it without knowing and almost killed himself

Good point! My kids ride my bicycles too.

Although they also ride motorcycles so as long as I tell them, it could be a benefit to us all.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Also thinking about switching the brake levers so front brake on my bicycle is right hand instead of left hand.
    I was taking a demo ride when the Specialized truck was in the area. As the tech was setting the bike up for me I mentioned that I had my own bicycle set up with the front brake from the right control. The tech responded, "Oh, moto-style!". Apparently a fair bit of the world has their bicycles set up that way.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sooo...if the right lever is the front brake is the left lever a gear changer? Let's not be half-assed about this now.

On my bicycle, I can do a figure eight in one parking space. That is making be wonder if I could do a figure eight on a motorcycle in one space.
    You could, with the right type of bike.

Frankly I'm surprised Trials didn't mention that, he knows just the type of bike that can do it.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

With the dual sport bikes, especially the KLX, I can do figure eight in considerably less than the full 2 by 2 spot format. But getting down to one would be challenging. Maybe I should draw out a space in a field so that I could drop the bike a few times with less damage than dropping on pavement.

Although more useful than tightening up the space in which I can do the figure eight might be increasing the speed.

Is a snow day today, thinking more about snowmobiles

If it was s dirt bike thing; figure 8's on off-camber surface or tight turn figure 8's over a cinder block would be the next logical practice.
    You could also incorporate floating turns off something like a log or rock those are neat

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Sooo...if the right lever is the front brake is the left lever a gear changer? Let's not be half-assed about this now.
    I guess, I could put the gear changer on the left peddle and the rear brake on the right peddle. The left lever could be a power modulator. Perhaps some kind of slip mechanism built into the bottom bracket.

Of course, the peddle controls would need to be wireless. Running cables to the peddles would be challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    You could, with the right type of bike.
    My first thought was that I could get closest with the KLX. And I still think that is true because of the weight. But I suppose the theoretical limit would have more to do with geometry than weight. I wonder if a very skilled rider would be able to do a tighter figure eight with the Versys than the KLX.

My son has learned do circles with the handle bars in the full lock position on his CB500X. I wonder how tight he could do figure eights.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess, I could put the gear changer on the left peddle and the rear brake on the right peddle. The left lever could be a power modulator. Perhaps some kind of slip mechanism built into the bottom bracket.
    Gear shifter could be a variable selector lever on the left...it doesn't have to be a complex clutch/shifter method, just have the shifting process on the left hand grip.

Now it's been forever since I owned a bicycle so I'm only speculating on the next part --- rear brake would be a coaster brake (where you counter rotate/reverse the pedals to slow/lock the rear tire), although that may not work so well in conjunction with a derailer system for changing gears where you have to back-pedal to unjam a jamming gear change.

On the other hand I had a AMF Aerobee Renegade that was a three speed sans derailer, I don't see why that type of set up wouldn't work with a coaster brake.

My first thought was that I could get closest with the KLX. And I still think that is true because of the weight. But I suppose the theoretical limit would have more to do with geometry than weight. I wonder if a very skilled rider would be able to do a tighter figure eight with the Versys than the KLX.

My son has learned do circles with the handle bars in the full lock position on his CB500X. I wonder how tight he could do figure eights.
    My first thought was a trials bike...just hop it around into a figure 8. Like I said, I'm surprised Trials didn't jump in on this one.

On a more serious note it would have to be a short wheelbase bike. I can wrench my Rebel into a side by side parking space figure 8 but I doubt I could pull it off within a single space. Maybe a Grom or Z125 could do it.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com