Thread: My beloved riding area is all but gone

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar

My beloved riding area is all but gone

Iím sadden by what looks to be the almost total destruction of the Malibu/Mulholland area which is my primary riding spots. My first pick to ride not only for the challenging stretches of road but also because itís just so darn beautiful. I know Bell Canyon is gutted. Most of upper Kanan Dume Canyon area is gone. Paramount Ranch is gone. In many areas of Malibu itís burned right down to the oceans edge.

Today we have a no wind forecast so hopefully those in the battle will get some degree of a foothold. As of 7:00 am the containment still stands at zero percent.

Here is a clip I took yesterday afternoon looking from Topanga Canyon stretching from Newbury Park west towards Malibu.

https://vimeo.com/299983211

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Man, that is horrible. I'm so glad you're not directly affected by the fires. It's amazing to ride the roads after a fire, the forests look skeletal and sterile for quite some time.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

I remember the quest haven fire of 25 years ago. I rode out there about a week after the fire. Everything was grey. The dirt was grey. No plants, like it was clear cut. No sounds either. No birds, no bugs, no anything. Just silence. If it weren't for the road I was on, you could've convinced me that it was the moon. Just monochromatic. Erie.

When my "places that I ride" disappear, it's usually due to houses or industrial bldgs. This sucks even worse. It adds more people to be in front of me when I ride/drive, AND they take away another fun place to enjoy the outdoors.

But, yeah, those fires are scary.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It breaks my heart seeing all that area affected. First the area near Ojai, now this. Lovely riding roads.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

And now the burnt areas are having mud slides...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Very sad.

I'd offer you a few thousand saplings to plant but that probably wouldn't be allowed.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    We rode Mulholland, Malibu and Ventura all day last Sunday. Almost everything north of Malibu Canyon (Pepperdine area) is burned to the core almost all the way to Magu Navel Station. What struck me most was not just the total devastation in any singular spot but the utter vastness of the whole burn area. It goes on for mikes and miles and mikes.

One of my very most favorite canyons (Encinal) is burned, honestly, beyond recognition, homes and all. Here’s a vid https://vimeo.com/304056261

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    That looks like Madagascar.

... except there would be a hundreds of people out there right now terracing it by hand and planting eucalyptus trees. :/ which they would eventually cut down and burn if the Zebu didn't eat it first.
    Last edited by Trials; 12-08-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    Looks more like Mars with a paved road.
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLQzbMEPklY

We stood at this very spot a few years ago. My tires left bits of rubber on the pavement. It was all lush and green then. So sad.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."