Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My beloved riding area is all but gone

Gotta admit, now that it's burned, the sight lines in turns are a lot more noticeable.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Now is the time to start replanting.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Gotta admit, now that it's burned, the sight lines in turns are a lot more noticeable.
    I was out yesterday. Where it’s true in that the sight lines are better I still struggled. I struggled because it’s a bit like riding a canyon you’ve never ridden before. Nothing looks familiar and things I mentally used as sight markers ain’t there no mores. That not to mention there’s sooo much goin’ on in terms of cleaning, clearing and re-building the road surfaces where gravel, dried mud, dust and debris. The bridge at the Rock Store/Old Place is still gone so it’s impossible to get up to Edwards Corner. Just an inconceivable disaster.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    I was out yesterday. Where itís true in that the sight lines are better I still struggled. I struggled because itís a bit like riding a canyon youíve never ridden before. Nothing looks familiar and things I mentally used as sight markers ainít there no mores. That not to mention thereís sooo much goiní on in terms of cleaning, clearing and re-building the road surfaces where gravel, dried mud, dust and debris....
    Sounds exactly like what we call Winter.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Now is the time to start replanting.
    I think most are pretty focused on re-building right now. That and since we only get one or two days of light rain annually, re-planting is particularly difficult. It, much like the Station Fire up in Angeles Crest, is gonna be up to Mother Nature to re-plant. Plus the area is so large and so mountainous itíd be impossible to mount any organized re-planting. Estimates to return to pre-burn condition is 30 years which means I wonít be around to see the recovery.

I know many ranches in Malibu got their horses to safety but many, many didnít. I read where the mountain lions that were being tracked by the National Forrestry Service all have died. Thereís thousands (yesterday I heard up to 5 thousand) cats and dogs that are being rescued and fostered.

It still amazes me a tragedy of this magnitude is largely ignored by the media and the Malibu/Ventura Fire is but a speck compared to the Camp Fire up north.