Thread: AIMExpo October 2018

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar

AIMExpo October 2018

Our MSF RiderCoach annual conference has been being held in conjunction with the AIMExpo....and I was able to attend this year since it was in Vegas.

Figured I'd post a couple of cool bikes we spied while there.

This was the 135cc, I think it was, by Benelli.

More Benelli bikes:

Indians have done nothing for me...til now. The recently-announced FTR 1200. It's pretty sweet.

The speedo (and bluetooth connections) is pretty sweet. It's part of the $14K FTR version.

Cool colors on the new Strom.

Yamaha Tracer! Comfortable, too! I can say I had not heard of it til I went to the show.

Monstrosity. The front end fairings are HUGE! The Niken.

And the back of Ralph Sheheen as we walked into the Expo. We followed him..I mean...He walked up to Jeff Emig at the conference center.

These are the only pics I took. Should have taken more. THe AIMExpo is IMS on steroids, so it was fun. Next year it is in Columbus, OH, for those of you so inclined.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I saw the title my first thought was Advanced Idea Mechanics from Marvel...they had expositions mirroring the Stark Expo.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    Indians have done nothing for me...til now. The recently-announced FTR 1200. It's pretty sweet.
    Travis Pastrana did some pretty impressive stuff here in Vegas honoring the late Evel Knievel utilizing the smaller FTR in a trio of same-day jumps.

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Those jump pics...and the theme behind it...are cool!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Cool photos, both of bikes and Travis Pastrana chanelling his inner Evel Kinievel. Travis seems to stick his landings better (and more consistently) than I remember Knievel ever doing, though. Better skills? Better bikes nowadays? Both? Hmmmm....
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Did you see where he adjusted the bikes attitude just a little before touchdown,
    throttle up brings the front wheel up, throttle down or touch the rear brake and the front would drop
    Travis Pastrana has that centrifugal force thing figured out pretty good from riding sand dues and occasionally landing on stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Cool photos, both of bikes and Travis Pastrana chanelling his inner Evel Kinievel. Travis seems to stick his landings better (and more consistently) than I remember Knievel ever doing, though. Better skills? Better bikes nowadays? Both? Hmmmm....
    Computers and lasers to design & align the ramps along with determining optimum speeds for any/all weather conditions? Back in Evel's day he practically just threw some ramps together, twisted the throttle, and hoped for the best.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Computers and lasers to design & align the ramps along with determining optimum speeds for any/all weather conditions? Back in Evel's day he practically just threw some ramps together, twisted the throttle, and hoped for the best.
    Yeah, you're most likely correct. And we saw the results of that "hoping for the best" quite a bit, didn't we?

Didn't the man hold some sort of record for most broken bones or something? It seemed to me that all he did was crash (obviously, if he didn't crash, it didn't make the news so I didn't get to see the successful jumps), or fail to make it over the obstacle (i.e., the Snake River Canyon jump).
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

Blog Entries

Evel ended his career jumping the shark before Fonzie did:

January 31, 1977
    Chicago, Illinois
    13 sharks
    90 feet
    Harley-Davidson XR-750
    crashed during practice jump
    fractured collarbone/fractured right arm/heavy bruising

September 20, 1977
    Happy Days
    Hollywood: Part 3
    shark
    Water Skis
    Who really remembers the outcome...
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer