Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "He Laid it Down to Avoid the Crash"

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"He Laid it Down to Avoid the Crash"

Yep, that's exactly what professional investigators said:

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/motor...6e2c53073.html

As the driver slowed, the motorcyclist, behind the Ford "attempted to slow down and investigators believe the rider laid the motorcycle down to avoid striking the rear of the Ford."
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

All things considered, I would think metal sliding on pavement would have much less slowing resistance than skidding rubber. How odd.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtke09 View Post
    All things considered, I would think metal sliding on pavement would have much less slowing resistance than skidding rubber. How odd.
    ... and you would be correct, it also offers zero directional control or chance of recovery. RIP rider.

As an older guy, I limit my rides to secondary roads and 45 to 55 mph speeds, avoiding periods of the day with high traffic volume. Less of a chance for disasters such as the one under discussion. I'm never in a hurry when riding, either. Those who are miss the whole joy of riding IMHO.

I recently witnessed a moto rear-ending a car driven by an old lady. Since it happened at slow speed, the rider was unhurt, but the cager never even got out of her car to check on him. It saddens me to see this side of (in)humanity . . .

Blog Entries
    I recently witnessed a moto rear-ending a car driven by an old lady. Since it happened at slow speed, the rider was unhurt, but the cager never even got out of her car to check on him. It saddens me to see this side of (in)humanity . . .
    In her defense she probably didn't feel the impact, or more likely after the impact she didn't see anything behind her in the rear view mirror afterwards.

My only MC-to-car impact was a result of neglected front brakes, they were long overdue for replacement and when I needed them they didn't perform. It was squeeze, nothing-squeeze, nothing-squeeze, nothing-then finally squeeze, lock up and down it went. Bike and I slid under the bumper of the stopped car I'd tried to avoid, the driver didn't see anything and began to drive off. It was only after pulling away and taking a second glance did the driver finally see what had happened and stopped.

Suffice it to say that was the first and last time I neglected my braking system.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Shadow, you're probably right about the one I saw, especially given the cager's advanced age.

As far as your incident, were you injured at all?

Blog Entries
    As far as your incident, were you injured at all?
    Unfortunately more than I should have been. See, I had made the mistake of having a crash bar/case guard/whatever the nomenclature-du-jour is for those things these days, and what I learned after the fact (and what many people don't know today) is any such item made after the 1970's utilizes considerably weaker material --- I swear I've seen some that look like they're nothing more than chrome plated copper tubing --- but you might see where this is going.

Once the bike capsized the case guard bent and trapped my foot on the peg like a bear trap. Basic physics tells us momentum is a factor of mass and velocity, so here we have a 600 pound bike and a 200 pound rider sliding in tandem. Since the bike weighed three times what I did and the combined mass was four times of me...well, let's just say "we" had some amazing momentum compared to what it would have been had I not been pinned to the bike and sliding solo at a much more favorable rate of momentum. I daresay even the bike might not have hit the car had it been carrying less momentum (without my assistance that is).

So I ended up with a sprained ankle, dislocated hip, and dislocated shoulder (in addition to the obligatory strawberries). The bike fared worse as well, since the guard bent where it mounts to the frame, the mounting bracket punctured both the grill and radiator --- bits that are impossible to damage on a sideways drop since they are safely tucked between a pair of frame tubes. Granted they did manage to protect the chrome case covers, although I might attribute that more to my pinned leg between the bike and asphalt than the guard itself.

Suffice it to say both the bike and rider would have fared better without the guard...at the very least I could have ridden it home without having it puking its life blood out along the way. Granted we both would have definitely fared even better had I bothered to change the front pads 2000 miles prior.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Six of us rode my place all day today we all crash lots because we are riding incredibly challenging terrain but nobody ever seems to get seriously hurt, you actually get good at crashing and you always learn something from it.

... oh wait, Josh's 4 year old daughter was riding her Oset that makes 7 riders
    Last edited by Trials; 10-14-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo

Ugh!

My goals for daily rides are safety, enjoyment of saddle time, and an intact arrival home; maybe too conservative for certain members of this site.

Age brings safety issues to the fore regarding the freedom of moto riding. I'm risk-averse at age 62, and in perfect health; nothing will change my attitude about safety and ATGATT . . .

Our neighbor's teen-age son recently died from a left turn collision with a cager.

We all love riding, but things change as we age and continue to ride, e.g., reaction time, balance issues, etc . . .