Thread: Proper Headlight Adjustment

Question Proper Headlight Adjustment

I've done quite a bit of looking online, in the past, about this but never came up with anything definitive.

Frankly, I don't think my headlight is adjusted high enough. It seems the beam hits the pavement about 25 feet in front of the ride, in low position.

What is the proper distance... or method for determining the proper height adjustment, in the USA.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your owner's manual should have information on it, under maintenance.

Modern headlights are easier to adjust than old ones, because the pattern is far better defined. At 30 feet or so, I like to have the top of the low beam pattern about level with the headlight, MAYBE slightly lower. That will put the high beam at obnoxious levels, of course.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

I found instructions on how to manipulate the mechanics to adjust, in the manual, but not specs on determining when they are adjusted correctly, so as not to bother drivers and still maintain maximum visibility.

I'm thinking I'll adjust them just under level, and see how many people flick their bright's at me.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Put the bike on level ground facing a wall or garage door, low beams should project a fairly distinct horizontal line with the vast majority of focused light appearing below that line. That upper line of sight should be set at or below horizontal, if it's aimed upwards the least it's too high for your purpose as well as the oncoming traffic.

... LED or other? Makes a big difference
    imho LED makes lots of light but projects poorly compared to say a Xenon projector light.

LED is also rich in blue light which can cause increased glare for oncoming traffic and the narrow spectrum light imo does a relatively poor job of illuminating dark objects (like a Moose) standing in front of green foliage. <- Not enough colour contrast to my eyes ymmv. I find LED flashlights to be almost useless in the woods.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Put the bike on level ground facing a wall or garage door, low beams should project a fairly distinct horizontal line with the vast majority of focused light appearing below that line. That upper line of sight should be set at or below horizontal, if it's aimed upwards the least it's too high for your purpose as well as the oncoming traffic.
    Note: Check the location of the light on the wall while you are sitting on the bike. Another tip is to put a piece of tape on the wall at the same height as the center of your headlight. The specs I vaguely recall from my manuals were the light should be an inch or so below the tape at 20 or 25 ft.
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.