Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cafe SV650x

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midknyte View Post
    Pssst, guys.

We're in the All Brands sub, not the Starter Bikes sub.
    While true, a claim was presented up-thread stating it was a good starter bike (which has since been retracted). Hence the resulting starter bike discussion.

BTW I had to look up the definition of that thing you called "winter"...meanwhile I just got back from performing an oil change followed by the obligatory post-maintenance ride in our balmy 74º weather (which would be warmer if not for the resulting cloud coverage from that tropical storm Rosa). Fear not, it'll hit the 80's by Monday or Tuesday.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    I didn’t really “retract” it. I just gave up Truth is the SV-650 much like the Ninja 650, Honda CB650f, and the Honda Rebel 500 are all docile bikes. As far as you riding an SV-650 and finding it “wheelie happy” I’m Titanically befuddled. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing about the SV-650 is wheelie happy. That’s utterly in line with calling the Honda Rebel “wheelie happy”. It spools up slowly, much like the Ninja 400. It’s a buttery clutch. It seat is uber low and the width at the tank is extremely slender. Despite some other comments the handle bars are bibcally “not low”. You sit as up-right as any bike on the market. The mirrors work nearly without adjustment. The brakes are good yet despite the judgement based on conclusions from pictures are easily modulated

Since it’s inception (and including the totally chick edition, the “Gladious”) the SV-650 is, and has always been a great, docile machine. The comments here seem counter-intuitive of the SV-650’s I’ve ridden.

Why would the disparity be so wide?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I figure the bigger the bike, the longer the learning curve,
    also depends on what level you wish to achieve in riding ability, it doesn't require a ton of riding ability to ride a street bike at the posted speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I figure the bigger the bike, the longer the learning curve,
    also depends on what level you wish to achieve in riding ability, it doesn't require a ton of riding ability to ride a street bike at the posted speed limit.
    To a degree of course

I came to this forum with the intent to help “new” riders. I really love coaching. I’m decidedly not a guy (especially at my age) that gains anything from ego or testosterone driven advice. The topic of what is and what is not a good beginner bike has been discussed virtually endlessly and as I’ve stated MANY times here I don’t get too terribly invested in suggestions by way of anything that is, or is not, a great choice for beginners. Every one is on the learning curve ladder at a different pace, as was I.

The nearly Titanic back-lash here has me confused. It’s almost like folks who are up in arms have ridden an entirely different bike than I’ve ridden. Sorry but the SV-650 is decidedly not a wheelie machine. It’s just not. It is, and has always been, a gentle, docile machine. That is what I’d imagine Suzuki had in mind.

Aggressive “duel” caliper brakes (which challenges beginners) and a wheelie machine? Sorry but that’s not the SV-650 I rode and not by a million miles.

Why is there this enormous, Grand Canyon divide in describing this machine??

We are all here for the same reason, to promote interest in the sport we love and to share experiences with others.
    The word beginner itself is ambiguous, at what point are you no longer a beginner?

To my knowledge this site was initiated by a group of rider trainers rider trainers like check boxes, maybe some bikes check off too many boxes. Myself I strongly support an uber light dirt bike as the absolute best way to learn so that makes me even more of a radical. Shadow loves 250cc displacement bikes because he loves small bikes, so do I
    is all good!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm not alone, go to Google, Bing, or any other search engine of choice and enter "best wheelie motorcycles" and you'll find plenty of top ten lists etc with the SV650 counted among them. Even if you ignore that aspect of the bike, a sensitive dual disc front brake (or "far more sensitive than a single rotor") also excludes it from the realm of "good ideas for beginner bikes". Now if you want to throw in models with ABS, then that becomes a moot point...however the carbureted version I sampled definitely didn't have that feature.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Just like the wheelie search engine experiment, there are scores of YouTube videos of folks with an SV650 as their first bike that illustrate these points nicely with their quick and disastrous endings.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

well that's silly everybody knows the best wheelie motorcycles are Spanish built dirt bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Well I'm not alone, go to Google, Bing, or any other search engine of choice and enter "best wheelie motorcycles" and you'll find plenty of top ten lists etc with the SV650 counted among them. Even if you ignore that aspect of the bike, a sensitive dual disc front brake (or "far more sensitive than a single rotor") also excludes it from the realm of "good ideas for beginner bikes". Now if you want to throw in models with ABS, then that becomes a moot point...however the carbureted version I sampled definitely didn't have that feature.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Just like the wheelie search engine experiment, there are scores of YouTube videos of folks with an SV650 as their first bike that illustrate these points nicely with their quick and disastrous endings.
    I’m a tad confused. I did the search you suggested and of the first five. I’ve read only one that listed the SV-650 as a wheelie machine, and even then the “gist” of the review was 1) It lift’s easier than others in it’s category because it doesn’t have front fairing........and 2) then goes on to suggested it’s an acceptable beginners bike.

My position remains...the SV-650 is (by design) a docile, forgiving machine that’s TOTALLY in the realm of a
    beginners machine.

I’m UBER careful of what I do (and don’t) suggested for beginners. This is a bike I’m confident in as a “first off”.

As I mentioned earlier I’m confused and befuddled as to why there’s such a Titanic devide regarding riding this bike. Everyone ones first hand experience seems a Grand Canyon difference than mine?!

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    My son successfully club raced a 2003 SV 650. It did not seem to be wheelie prone. Then again, he did not run short gearing to 'help its acceleration'. The front brake was quite manageable with stock brake pads. Putting in performance pads to 'make it faster' could possibly be probematic on the street. The chassis was quite forgiving in a race situation, far more so than a Supersport 600-4, and would probably be so on the street. A Power Commander III, M4 exhaust, pump fuel, put the power output at 75 rwhp at about 10,500 rpm. The stock suspension was junk, we replaced it immediately.

The SV did not seem slow by any means. My son would win lightweight races and could run top 10 (regional club racing) in middleweight. With about 70 hp easily accessible, an SV can go from zero to trouble a lot quicker than can a sub-40hp machine.