Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TY electric

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Thumbs up TY electric

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Let's see...the average motorcycle has a 4 gallon tank which is good for about 160 miles whereas the typical electric bike has a battery that will take you about a third of that distance.

A typical trials bike has a 2.5 liter tank that's good for a few hundred yards worth of obstacles, so if the math is proportionally the same this e-trials bike will go a hundred yards?
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Let's see...the average motorcycle has a 4 gallon tank which is good for about 160 miles whereas the typical electric bike has a battery that will take you about a third of that distance.

A typical trials bike has a 2.5 liter tank that's good for a few hundred yards worth of obstacles, so if the math is proportionally the same this e-trials bike will go a hundred yards?
    Your math is accurate except trials bikes measure travel distance in vertical feet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Your math is accurate except trials bikes measure travel distance in vertical feet
    So you're saying this e-trials bike is only good for one third of the usual trials bike obstacle heights.

As if I wasn't already convinced that electric vehicles are useless.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Electric trial bikes that I've read about previously (can't recall brand) spoke to runtime of 2 to 3 hours if I remember correctly.
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Blog Entries
    You do realize that I'm laying the sarcasm on pretty thick here...

Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I know a guy with an Electric Motion trials bike. He says the battery will go for longer than he will, so thatís plenty.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you live in suburbia, this bike would be fun around the yard without pissing off your neighbors. Actually, with 100% torque on demand, electric motors make perfect sense in trials bikes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Buddy with the EM bike has had complaints from his neighbours, even though itís quieter than a lawn mower. Some people hear with their eyes.

Having full torque from zero should be a huge advantage. I see lots of complaints on trials forums that the electric bikes are (with a few exceptions like Mecatecno) clutchless, so you canít use the techniques of revving the engine to store energy in the flywheel, then dumping the clutch to launch.

But it seems to me that that technique is just compensating for the IC engineís lack of low speed torque. You donít need to store energy in the flywheel if you can get the same power delivery straight from the motor.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Quieter than a lawnmower" but sounds like a drone with a high-pitch whine?
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)