Thread: Two New Liquid Cooled Harleys on Deck

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    The 1200gs is great on unpaved roads.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Almost every 1950's Single cylinder Brit bike is great on unpaved roads

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    The 1200gs is great on unpaved roads.
    I am sure you are right. The problem with me taking that bike on an unpaved road would not be the bike, it would be the rider. I have extremely limited experience on unpaved roads. I would like to ride more off pavement.

These photos, have been bandied about the Harley forums as well.

The "traditionalists" think these look "too Asian" for their tastes. They like a bike that can be seen thru when looking at the sides. This is why they don't really like models after the EVO generation. Even if the newer models "out perform" the Knuck/Pan/EVO in almost every way. But, then again, these riders are slowly moving OUT of the Harley market, due to health reasons.

Now, as far as weight of motorcycles for offroad riding goes, that is probably one of the largest factors to consider. AND, if/when the pace picks up, that factor becomes HUGE.
    I have some experience riding bikes offroad. Weight is THE enemy. (Well, that and flat tires...)
    The more weight a rider has to wrestle with, the quicker that rider becomes fatigued. Guess what increases as a rider gets fatigued? RISK!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    The "traditionalists" think these look "too Asian" for their tastes. They like a bike that can be seen thru when looking at the sides. This is why they don't really like models after the EVO generation. Even if the newer models "out perform" the Knuck/Pan/EVO in almost every way.
    I like my 1992 Softail for the reasons you describe here. Even though it may be the worst motorcycle made in the last 50 years by any performance measure - heavy, slow, terrible suspension, bad brakes, etc. But it makes me smile when I ride it. I am sure I look ridiculous riding it with my white Shoei helmet and mesh riding gear. But I like the rumble and feel cruising down the road. I don't ride far. Mostly errands and short cruises.

Harley has done well with people like me who are tolerant of poor performance and derive enjoyment from other elements of the riding experience. But are people who put a higher priority on performance going to be attracted to these new bikes? Will they stack up competitively with other similar bikes on performance? If they are not competitive on a price/performance basis and they no longer have the traditional Harleyness, what do they have? Who is going to buy them?

I go to Harley dealerships from time to time and look around. But I do not see anything I would buy. They are all vastly better machines than my Harley. But they do not do anything for me. If I was going to be given a choice between riding any bike Harley makes and my 1992, I think I would ride my bike. I am not alone in feeling this way and that is a huge problem for Harley when there are so many bikes out there like mine that you can pick up for cheap.

But, then again, these riders are slowly moving OUT of the Harley market, due to health reasons.
    I think they have an opportunity to make a bike for some of these people. Something lighter and easier to handle for older riders. The guy I got my softail from is 80 and would probably enjoy riding. But he will not ride anything buy a Harley and Harleys are too heavy for him. He would probably enjoy a Honda Rebel, but he would never ride a "Jap bike".

I wonder if Harley could capture a traditional Harley experience in a lighter bike that would appeal to older riders.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Selling the American Dream or fantasy it really makes no difference, that's the basis for these bikes.

Never wanting to ride anything but an old Harley, that's not a dream that's dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Never wanting to ride anything but an old Harley, that's not a dream that's dementia.
    Describing the source of someone else's happiness as dementia is close minded. And it is a great problem with addressing all the world's differences of perspectives. Those who view anybody else's opinion as demented are the impediments to solving problems.

For some riding an old Harley is the source of happiness. For others riding a bike with no seat is the source of happiness. Neither is right or wrong. Just differences in what makes people happy. Some can find happiness from both experiences.

Describing others as demented is mean, judgmental and it reflects poorly on those who make such comments. I have much greater respect for people who seek to understand those who see the world differently.

The "traditionalists" think these look "too Asian" for their tastes. They like a bike that can be seen thru when looking at the sides. This is why they don't really like models after the EVO generation. Even if the newer models "out perform" the Knuck/Pan/EVO in almost every way. But, then again, these riders are slowly moving OUT of the Harley market, due to health reasons.
    H-D made it quite clear to us (employees) that they are not aiming at their traditional market. The traditionalists are not buying enough motorcycles to keep H-D going and H-D is finally acknowledging that fact. Right now, H-D told us that they do not have plans to ax any part of the current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I am sure you are right. The problem with me taking that bike on an unpaved road would not be the bike, it would be the rider. I have extremely limited experience on unpaved roads. I would like to ride more off pavement.
    Your Versys should do pretty well on unpaved roads. Maybe not as smooth riding as a BMW, but tolerably well. Look for roads that are not paved, but relatively free of sand or gravel that could be more than an inch or so deep. Then, just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Your Versys should do pretty well on unpaved roads. Maybe not as smooth riding as a BMW, but tolerably well. Look for roads that are not paved, but relatively free of sand or gravel that could be more than an inch or so deep. Then, just ride.
    Yup, experience is what I need for sure. Just not a lot of unpaved roads near me. Although I admit I have not looked very hard.

Most of my "off-road" riding has been in a field near by. Mostly grassy, but there is a bit of a mud bog when it rains. That is fun on the KLX and DRZ.