Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Two New Liquid Cooled Harleys on Deck

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    H-D made it quite clear to us (employees) that they are not aiming at their traditional market. The traditionalists are not buying enough motorcycles to keep H-D going and H-D is finally acknowledging that fact. Right now, H-D told us that they do not have plans to ax any part of the current lineup.
    Certainly seems a good call to expand beyond the traditional market. There are so many good used traditional Harleys out there that it must be difficult to sell new ones. But I think Harley could expand its approach to the retro market. I like retro looking bikes. I seriously considered a CB1100. I wonder how a smaller, lighter retro Harley would sell.

A smaller, lighter retro Harley might keep some old-timers on the road who might otherwise age out of the big heavy Harleys.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Apologies for implying what makes him happy was the issue "But he will not ride anything buy a Harley" <- I took that part literally, but I now assume you mean he will never own anything but a Harley. surely the specific act of never riding a german, italian, spanish, "jap" or whatever motorcycle can't be a source of happy.

Here's what I like~

This thread has had some great activity. This is how this forum, (and most others used to be.) Before that "other elephant in the room" showed up.
    Interesting that it took a subject such as HD to make it come alive. This is hardly a Harley forum too.

Anyway, it's just good to see this again.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I wonder how a smaller, lighter retro Harley would sell.

A smaller, lighter retro Harley might keep some old-timers on the road who might otherwise age out of the big heavy Harleys.
    Oh, you mean something like, say...a Sportster?

I'd love to pick up a Sportster 72 in metal flake red or green. Photos simply do not do those paint jobs any justice. My only issue with the model is the tiny-tank, two gallons just isn't enough for a 1200cc motor. Even my 250 Rebel has a bigger tank.

Well...this photo does some justice:
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But, if it had a bigger tank, people might consider TOURING with it, which cuts into the fragile market for profitable TOURING motorcycles...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    The Sportster would be a good place to start. Maybe something like the Roadster with more classic styling, more upright seating position and the 883 motor rather than the 1200. Maybe styled like the Superlow, but taller and a more standard seating position rather than the cruiser seating position.

The bikes you show are cool, but they are the traditional Harley cruiser look. If they want to sell more bikes, they have to make something different than what they have been making.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar

I'd love to pick up a Sportster 72 in metal flake red or green. Photos simply do not do those paint jobs any justice. My only issue with the model is the tiny-tank, two gallons just isn't enough for a 1200cc motor. Even my 250 Rebel has a bigger tank.
    I've had a few course graduates buy Sportsters and then (after some miles) pop on the tank from a Custom, bumping fuel capacity to 4.5 gallons. Apparently it is a bolt-on substitution.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Sweet Harley: Nice fuel tank too!

except for maybe the tiny hidden tail light and signals

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I've had a few course graduates buy Sportsters and then (after some miles) pop on the tank from a Custom, bumping fuel capacity to 4.5 gallons. Apparently it is a bolt-on substitution.
    Yes, it is a direct bolt-on...the problem is --- at least as I've been told by our local dealership --- the paint is not available so you lose the cool metal flake with the tank swap. Now if they made the paint available, that would be an option for the table.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Yes, it is a direct bolt-on...the problem is --- at least as I've been told by our local dealership --- the paint is not available so you lose the cool metal flake with the tank swap. Now if they made the paint available, that would be an option for the table.
    I just checked with Parts. It took a little checking: the Hard Candy Custom Flake paint and clear coat is still available, the undercoat decals are not. And large tanks were never made for the 72, so it was never available as an original part.