Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First bike, help/opinions welcome

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    Take a class first, at least you will have a better idea what kind of bike you like. Because now, you don't.
    This. A thousand times this! You have to try on bikes, just like you try on clothes. There are a ton of fashions I love, but after trying them on, I learned I cannot wear them. Better to try on a bike and find out it's actually not the one for when you're not paying for that bike.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    I haven't taken a course yet, but I am going to. Should I get the bike first, or take the class first? Cause I would rather not fail the course and have to pay to take it again
    Hindsight is 20/20 with this one. I did it in the wrong order, but came out okay, by sheer luck. I signed up for my class, bought my first bike (2001 Ninja 250), then actually took the class a couple weeks aftewards. I took the class on a cruiser-ish Suzuki GZ250, which I loathed. I'm quite glad I'd gone with the EX250 as a first bike, instead, simply due to the seating position. So, while I got a certain level of vindication for my choice, it'd have been wiser to have competed the class first to help flesh out what I really wanted in a first bike.

It's the same reason I recommend a new or more recent (3-5 years old) bike over a 20-year-old bike as a first bike. A new rider doesn't have any reference point for what a well-maintained, perfectly-functioning motorcycle should feel, look, and sound like, and may very well ride around on a motorcycle with genuine issues, and not even know it.

Good luck, from another midwesterner!
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    MSF ranges never had the bike I always wanted when I started.

What they did have never would have changed my mind either.

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com