Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bike, help/opinions welcome

First bike, help/opinions welcome

A little background to start. I'm a smaller, 5'4.5" and 140lbs, female. I have very limited experience and am looking for a decent bike to start on. I've done a little bit of research and decided that I prefer the sport bike style, though I don't dislike cruisers. The issues I have with sport bikes though are the aggressive riding stance and the gas mileage. I'm looking for a good commuter, my drive is like half an hour, and for it to work for trips that last a few hours. I had been looking into sport bikes until I realized that it might not be thr best choice for me, and so I switched my attention to a cruiser. That was until I stumbled upon to the honda cb300f. It seems like it had everything I want: small bike, good gas mileage, more of an upright sitting position, and advertised as a good commuter. I could add additional storage and other such things. The big question is just if this would be a decent bike to start on. Thoughts and opinions welcome

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Hi

CB300F great entry level street bike choice.
    ... the only better place to learn how to ride motorcycles is off-road and on an even smaller/lighter bike.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    CB300F or even the CBR300R. Both brilliant entry level machines!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    And Ninja 300. Very comfortable.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    I prefer the sport bike style, though I don't dislike cruisers. The issues I have with sport bikes though are the aggressive riding stance and the gas mileage.

honda cb300f.
    You might also look into the sibling 300 Rebel that utilizes the same motor.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Echoing what's already been said, that's an awesome selection as a beginner bike. Similar to the other entry-level bikes (CB300R, Ninja 250/300/400, R3), you're going to have plenty of power... I have ridden a LOT of bikes, and my Ninja 250 puts perma-grin on my face every time I ride it.

An advantage at your weight, is that Honda tends to under-spring their smaller bikes, which is a problem for my 220-lb self, but not at all for you. I remember reading somewhere that the spring rates on many Hondas run in the range that would work for 150-lb race jockeys... but not so much for bigger folks. I know my superhawk was pretty squishy up front before I re-sprung it, and have been on some others which are similarly soft for someone my size. Again, this is actually an advantage for you.

What exactly is "very limited experience?"

Have you taken a class to learn to ride a motorcycle? Recently?

If yes, then continue your search.

If no, then let's get that out of the way before you go motorcycle shopping.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

I haven't taken a course yet, but I am going to. Should I get the bike first, or take the class first? Cause I would rather not fail the course and have to pay to take it again

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Take a class first, at least you will have a better idea what kind of bike you like. Because now, you don't.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    I haven't taken a course yet, but I am going to. Should I get the bike first, or take the class first? Cause I would rather not fail the course and have to pay to take it again
    It will be a lot less expensive to take the course twice than to buy a bike and then find out you want a different bike. Of course that will probably happen anyway, but if you take the course first, you will at least have a better chance of getting a bike you will be happy with for a while.

And if you take the course first, you will be less likely to drop your own bike. It does not take much of a drop to do more damage than the cost of taking the course a second time.

And taking the course multiple times will accelerate your learning.

I took BRC 1 almost 20 years ago but did not get a bike at the time. I re-took the course when I got a bike about three years ago and I took BRC 2. And I want to take the advanced rider course. I could go back and re-take BRC 1 a third time and I would benefit from the experience.