Thread: Replace Helmet liner

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Replace Helmet liner

My helmet is three years old. The liner is showing wear but the helmet is otherwise in good shape. Wondering if I should replace liner or replace helmet.

Also wondering if anybody rotates liners for similar reason as rotating shoes. Or maybe rotate helmets. Maybe I should get another helmet and a new liner for old helmet and then begin rotating helmets. Hear in Florida, gets hot and helmet liner gets soaked with sweat. Kind of gross to put helmet back on when it has not had a chance to dry out.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't replace the liner of the helmet, I use a "skull cap" that goes between me and the liner. They're inexpensive and washable.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    My helmet is three years old. The liner is showing wear but the helmet is otherwise in good shape. Wondering if I should replace liner or replace helmet.

Also wondering if anybody rotates liners for similar reason as rotating shoes. Or maybe rotate helmets. Maybe I should get another helmet and a new liner for old helmet and then begin rotating helmets. Hear in Florida, gets hot and helmet liner gets soaked with sweat. Kind of gross to put helmet back on when it has not had a chance to dry out.
    I'm pretty picky about helmets and specifically helmet liners that get even moderately gross. I have two sets of liners for the Shoei of which one is always freshly washed. I find Johnson's Baby Shampoo the most effective in hand cleaning the liners although it does leave a noticable Baby Shampoo smell. Some might find that lingering smell mildly bothersome. Better than stale sweat though.

When the weather gets blisteringly hot (as has been the case all year) I have a CoolCore skull cap that does a good job of providing some bairer and absorbtion and as Jeff mentioned easily thrown in the wash. Also for as long as I can remember I've used some sort of antibacterial spray just as a freshen up. Motorex make a can of antibacterial foam that's roughly $10.00 and lasts about a year of moderate use. It seems to be really effective. I have in the past replaced liners (usually like you about three years in) but I have such a nice rotation of helmets these days the wear and tear is equally distributed and replacing isn't really required.

Yes, thinking I might get a replacement liner for my Shoei and pick up a second helmet to rotate without having to change the liner too often. I wash mine on gentle cycle in washing machine and hang dry.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    New lining, especially the cheekpads, restores the as-new fit too.

Get another helmet. Always a good idea to have 3 or 4 extras, ready to go.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Not sure I need 3 or 4 extras. But I could definitely justify 1 extra.

I have 7 helmets if you include my kids helmets and the off-road helmets. But I only have one that I use on a regular basis.

7 is a good number! LOL

Actually, it's not a terrible idea to have an add'l helmet. (Or bike for that matter!)
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.