Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The driver looked directly AT me...

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Right hand turn.... You look left, you look right, you look left again.
    you forgot to look behind you on the curb side of your car to make sure you aren't about to kill a bicycle.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    you forgot to look behind you on the curb side of your car to make sure you aren't about to kill a bicycle.
    True, but most people wouldn't look there, either.

In my case, I might not check my right mirror if I'd just pulled up to the intersection, in large part because I would likely have seen (and passed) any bicycle that would be a factor. If I'd been sitting there for a while... different situation.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    This is a great observation. I pay attention my lane position but I have never considered it from this perspective.
    Lane positioning to "see and be seen" is a complex game at times. The main thing, in my opinion, is to make yourself appear to be a threat. Our brain filters out "harmless". Changing your position in the lane as you approach can make you an unpredictable threat, and get you to be noticed.

"But, the gorilla in the video was different! How could it not have been seen?"

It wasn't a threat. Nothing in the video was a threat. Only the assigned task was important. And the "gorilla" wasn't really a gorilla; A real gorilla might have excited a different response. This "gorilla" moved like a human, because it was one. We watch how bodies move to determine what is and isn't human, not the faces.

I'm reminded of a "making of" video of Titanic. One scene, of people crowding to a railing, was completely computer-generated. But, they did motion capture of actual people to make it so the audience didn't reject it as artificial. For Planet of the Apes, they taught the actors who were being motion-captured to move like real apes, for the same reason.

What we EXPECT to see is often what we "see", even if it isn't what happened. And it can take a significant amount of difference for us to reject the expectation and deal with the reality properly.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I like to wiggle a bit as I approach an intersection. I think motion catches attention. Especially unexpected motion.

I will move to the right when I come to an intersection with left turners going both ways so that I am not obscured by the left turners going in my direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I like to wiggle a bit as I approach an intersection. I think motion catches attention. Especially unexpected motion.

I will move to the right when I come to an intersection with left turners going both ways so that I am not obscured by the left turners going in my direction.
    The key to this is "unusual movement."

Lots of years ago, Bell telephone cars were the only one's to have a "3rd brake lamp." It was unusual, therefor effective. Now that most cars/trucks/buses have the 3rd lamp, it's effectiveness has dwindled. Now, if something else were to become unusual visually, that would again, have the same effect, until it became "usual." A brake lamp that flashes very bright as a strobe would get attention....for awhile.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.