Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So how many fingers do you brake with .. ?

So how many fingers do you brake with .. ?

These guys are the fastest on two wheels in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqw8WOArHTs I was mildly surprised at their differences.

Me. I'm a Cal Crutchlow braker on the street (it's how I learned before stuff like the MSF and BRC existed) ... and two finger offroad.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    It makes sense to me that there would be a lot of variability since it is a touch thing and everybody's touch is different. Look at the variety of ways professional golfers hold putters.

I have pretty much standardized on two fingers. That seems to give me enough strength to apply sufficient force when I need to, but also gives me touch to apply force smoothly.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Depends on the bike slightly! Normally 1 or as few as possible which leaves a better grasp on the grips,
    I just put another one out there if the index finger isn't cutting it.
    1953 BSA Goldstar all of them is barely enough

Same with clutch 1 for hydraulic 2 if it's cable pull
    1953 BSA Goldstar all of them is barely enough

:I also one finger cover both controls ~90% of the time, that's dirt riding habit but has served me well on street,
    has got to reduce reaction time to the controls if your finger is already there.
    1953 BSA Goldstar almost no percentage in covering the controls you're too busy hanging on anyway

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Brake to a stop? Generally all four. Brake to slow for a corner? Varies.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Fastest guys on two wheels in the world are also braking as little and as late as possible.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Prior to motos I did quite a lot of mountain biking which was one finger. But on the motos it's been 2 fingers mostly, with one finger only to scrub off a little speed.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    I'm gonna step a little outta the box on this one. Because of an index finger injury (years ago) and subsequent arthritis it's too slow, or painful, to be of much help. The next most natural thing for me then was, three fingers without the index.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Fastest guys on two wheels in the world are also braking as little and as late as possible.
    This is a good point since I brake early and safely more than is necessary to leave myself a wide margin for error. Completely different objectives so perhaps different technique makes sense.

On the other hand my apparent wide margin for error might actually be a smaller margin when adjusted for skill level and environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post

As little as possible for them is like 20-25% of the time they are on the track and doing stuff like braking from 200-210 mph to 40-50 mph. When was the last time any of us used the brakes to 1.2-1.4 gs losing 170 mph ... ?

Some tracks are worse. At LeMans nearly 1/3 of the lap is spent braking. . At Turn 9, into the Chemin aux Boefs chicane, racers scrub off nearly 120mph of speed in less than five seconds, clocking 1.5 G in the process.

I know in my experience if I get nothing else out of a trackday my proficiency at braking at speed improves ... I mean how many times to we really get called upon to brake really hard from 75 mph ... much less 170 mph ...

I think I 2 finger brake on the KTM 500 offroad because I need the other fingers to hang on. I 1 finger brake and clutch on my trials bike because the clutch and brake are so easy. I 3 finger brake on the street and track because that feels the most precise .. to me.
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 07-11-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Due to this thread, I actually paid attention yesterday on my way home yesterday. Apparently I use three fingers for regular braking. I'll say it's because of my wee hands, rather than trying to be dainty and stick out my pinky. In traffic, I tend to use two fingers, and I'm gonna side with Jeff and say that's because of my cycling background. On my bicycle, in low speed situations, I cover my brakes with two fingers. I think that just carries over.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff