Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supposed to be fun...

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Supposed to be fun...

Doing your own maintenance, that is. Certain tasks, though...

The C14 has needed new plugs for a while, according to the maintenance schedule, and the symptoms of poor low-end power for the first few minutes of a ride. So I bought new plugs. A year ago. And procrastinated over installing them, after reading the service manual.

But, last night it decided to force my hand, by refusing to start AFTER I'd ridden away from home.

Months ago, I mapped out where to go to find all the things that needed to be done. "Changing plugs" requires "removing coil sticks", which requires "remove frame brace", which requires "remove fairing stay", which requires "remove front middle fairing", which requires "remove rear middle fairing", which requires ...

My map was incomplete. And the canyon bars I added to protect the fairing does a VERY effective job of protecting it from being removed.

4.5 hours after starting the job, the left side of the motorcycle had been completely stripped, two of four plugs are replace. Another hour was needed to reconstruct enough of the left side to allow all the cables to be plugged in, so testing could be done to see if the situation is improved.

Tomorrow we'll be doing the right side. Should only take a couple of hours to swap the plugs, now that we know the sequence for assembling and disassembling the tools to remove/replace the plugs 6" deep in their little bores, with 3.5" of vertical clearance above them.

I should check what the book time is on remove/replace the entire engine... I think it has to be less than servicing the engine IN the frame...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Look at the bright side...1100 V-Star owners have to remove the front head pipe to remove the oil filter. Remember the claim how oil is best changed while it's still warm?

Better yet, take a wild guess where GM engineers stuffed the starter in Cadillac's NorthStar motor...

Yep, you get to remove all of this fun stuff first:

Last edited by Shadow Shack; 07-01-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Better yet, take a wild guess where GM engineers stuffed the starter in Cadillac's NorthStar motor...
    But, it saved .15 kilos over having a gear ring on the flywheel!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Son is working full time this summer in an auto shop. His 16 year old self comes home, amazed by some of these issues, now that he is seeing a variety of cars/trucks.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    The most I ever do is lube the chain, the rest is for trained professionals, I have better things to do with my time. Like riding.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Blog Entries
    I might get to be that way, too... Except that the local shop doesn't want to deal with Kawasaki maintenance, and the closest shops that will are 20+ miles away.

Tonight I got the right side cowling off and plugs 3 & 4 changed out, with minimal injury and damage. It's disconcerting to drop a socket 6" into the motor, assemble the driver to turn it, unscrew the plug, then retrieve all the bits one by one, and reverse to put the new plug in. A 3" extension JUST fits in... and it's barely long enough.

So, it still won't start. It fires, but won't run, even with new plugs and battery, which are #1 and #2 on the "won't run" hit parade. Next are fuel issues, which means the tank has to come off. The computer should know what is wrong, but it won't kick out any error codes, and my CANBUS-capable reader needs a plug to attach to, which Kawasaki didn't put on the motorcycle.
    Jeff

'13 XT250

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Fires (as in seems to be starting as long as you hold the starter button) but won't (continue to) run is often a fuel pressure issue. In most cases this won't register a code because there is probably not a fuel pressure sensor (just a yes/no switch). I don't know the pump setup in your Kawi, but popular causes are that the fuel outlet hose from the pump to the filter suffers an aneurysm or that the fuel filter housing cracks. My Ulysses had the fuel pressure regulator housing lose two if it's four claws, allowing the FPR to leak (but that was a new one to me).

Blog Entries
    Fuel pump on C14 is an integrated unit, with filter and regulator as one part. HOWEVER, if you ask anyone except Kawasaki, it is repairable.

I have 3 new filters coming on Thursday. I can get the pump itself on Amazon for $30 with a new filter, or buy the assembly for $385 from a Kawasaki dealer.

Fuel tank coming off and apart today.
    Jeff

'13 XT250

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    There will probably be rubber parts, o-rings and short hose sections, be certain to replace those, especially the hose sections, with material that is designed to live, submerged, in fuel. Most fuel line is fuel-proof only on the inside.

If you prime the system (cycle the ECO switch so that the fuel pump runs) several times and the bike starts and runs, but only momentarily, then the problem is pretty certainly with fuel pressure. Regulators rarely fail, it is the connections that let you down.

Blog Entries
    Tank removed, fuel drained, pump assembly removed, disassembled, and cleaned. Filter was both filthy and had water in it.

Filter cleaned, pump reassembled, put back in tank, tank mounted to C14 again (and hooked up) and fuel added. After about 20 tries, it caught and continued running.

Rather than button it all back up, it's staying in pieces until the new filters arrive Thursday, when the process repeats, before finally putting everything back together.

When the valve check comes up, it's going to a shop for that... It's a case of, "I know how to do that, and that's why I'm going to have someone else do it!"
    Jeff

'13 XT250