Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old, loose chain

This is a fairly easy thing to adjust and there are youtube videos to mentor you on it. Some bikes like the VFR800 are a little different but that is well covered in the owner's manual. Between your Owner's Manual and the videos you should have no problem.

I have personally found 80W gear oil the best chain lube going for longevity for street use. I currently have over 50,000 miles on the OEM chain on my VFR using gear oil applied with a tooth brush about every 500 miles as called for in the manual and it is still within range.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    I have personally found 80W gear oil the best chain lube going for longevity for street use. I currently have over 50,000 miles on the OEM chain on my VFR using gear oil applied with a tooth brush about every 500 miles as called for in the manual and it is still within range.
    Impressive longevity! I've never gotten more than about 30,000 km froma chain.
    2018 Honda CRF250L ('Rhonda')
    2015 Honda CB500X ('Betty')
    Previous bikes:
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki')
    2007 Honda CBR125
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpwell View Post
    Impressive longevity! I've never gotten more than about 30,000 km froma chain.
    Gear oil was called for in my Honda Owners Manual. It is a little more inconvenient than spray can chain lube but I have been very happy with the results ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.