Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda CB1100

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Honda CB1100

Anybody know anything about 2014 CB1100?

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They're retro clones that didn't sell well, the $10K+ price tag could get you a lot more bike in terms of performance (ABS was offered as an option that further increased that price) --- for example Triumph offered several twins that matched its performance for a few grand less and for the cost of the added ABS you could get the sibling CBR600 (which also came with ABS) that would spank it silly. IIRC the model only saw production here in the States for a couple of years.

Like any other retro-resurrection, the new versions emulate the originals with added modern tech but they tend to cost as much as (if not more than) a near mint original at auction. While the new tech may be a nice addition, only one will hold its value.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yes, that is consistent with my understanding. But now they are unloading 2014 models that are new for $5,999. I am guessing $7,000 out the door with tax, tag, title and dealer fee.

At that price, it seems appealing to me as something that would give me the old school look I like, but would be newer, more reliable and lighter than my Harley. Maybe get rid of the Harley and Versys. Ultimately get rid of DRZ and KLX if I do not start doing more dual sport riding.

Down to one bike that does what I need it to do. I am sure I could get better performance for similar cost. But my riding style does not require better performance.

It is not super powerful and I think it has very mellow power delivery so it would manageable in my hands.

Honda reliability. Might be a very satisfying bike for my needs.

Does that sound about right?

Flirting With The Redline Mrs._DJS's Avatar
    Hubby has 2014 CB1100 deluxe. Loves it!$6000 is high. He hears a lot of people getting them for $5500 from his Honda forum

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs._DJS View Post
    Hubby has 2014 CB1100 deluxe.
    Taking a cue from the Shadow line, I'll guess the Deluxe model was a color option other than black and something else thrown in that the Standard doesn't have (like extra chrome)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    At that price, it seems appealing to me as something that would give me the old school look I like, but would be newer, more reliable and lighter than my Harley.
    You just described every 80's & 90's sub-liter cruiser made in Japan that is currently available at one quarter those prices.

Unless by "old school" you mean 70's UJM and not the 50's/60's domestic styling those 80's/90's bikes emulate?

Down to one bike that does what I need it to do. I am sure I could get better performance for similar cost. But my riding style does not require better performance.

It is not super powerful and I think it has very mellow power delivery so it would manageable in my hands.

Honda reliability. Might be a very satisfying bike for my needs.

Does that sound about right?
    It definitely fits that bill then.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Deluxe has ABS. The ones I am looking at are regular. But new with factory warranty is nice for someone who is not skilled at evaluating and fixing older bikes.

It's been my experience that folks on forums frequently exaggerate the deals they get. The key to a great deal is often how much fluff is added over the sale price. Two dealers near Raleigh gave me quotes of $4,299 for a Ninja 400 ABS .. only one had it up to $5,500 out the door and the other was $4,299 if I took care of tax and title.

I would get a ride first. I've heard the throttle is a little snatchy. But I find that kind of thing i highly individual. The '98 VFR800fi was reportedly "snatchy". Didn't seem that way to me at all.

Sounds like a good deal to me .. though I'm hoping the same happens to the Z900RS. I like the looks of that bike ..
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

The dealer with the 2013 CB1100 has a Z900RS. That is a cool bike too.

I think there are some deals out there on the 2014 CB1100 because they are selling 2017 for over $10K and they need to get rid of the 2014s first.

$5,999 does seem like a decent deal on a new one with warranty even if it is plus plus and ends up being $7,000 OTD. But I have not spoken to that dealer yet so I do not know what the deal is.

On internet deals I've found it best to call/email the person named in the advertisement and ask for the Out The Door price. It's usually the sales manager and you can avoid the salesman BS ...

PS. I got an OTD of $6,878 not including state taxes ...
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 06-18-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    You just described every 80's & 90's sub-liter cruiser made in Japan that is currently available at one quarter those prices.
    I guess the key differences are that those bikes are now twenty to forty years old, and that the CB1100 isnít a cruiser.

Though knowing that Sorg has a Harley and seems ok with its ergonomics, it is a fair question, why not a newer Japanese cruiser?