Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Down a Noise

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Tracking Down a Noise

I have an annoying noise on my 1992 Harley Davidson Softail.

The bike has a primary chain that connects to the belt drive. On my bike, the primary chain has to be adjusted from time to time. Then newer bikes have a chain tensioning mechanism.

My bike was recently serviced and my independent mechanic. My primary chain needed replacement. My mechanic recommended adding a chain tensioner like the newer bikes, I said okay.

Now it makes a noise at higher rpms. It is very smooth at cruising speeds, but it is loud when you wind it out a little.

It has always been loud at higher rpms, but now it does not sound right. There is a hard to describe hollow creaking sound. To me, it sounds like the fender or some other decorative thin metal noise.

But I wonder if it could come from the primary tensionser. I wonder if it is possible that it is sending a vibration up through the middle of the bike that is echoing or creating the sound I am hearing.

Any opinions?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Trust me you don't want to hear my opinion of chain primary drives.
    I would probably take it apart and see if I could re-engineer it or find an adjustment or assembly problem.

Just googled what you are likely to have in there now and I think I found the problem
    somebody made a poorly engineered chain tensioner and 20 other guys made a reasonable copy of it.

So do you think I should put the OEM manual tensioning mechanism back in rather than the auto adjusting tensioner my mechanic put in?

google rollring

That is cool, but it does not look like it would fit on my bike.

it's a flexible piece of plastic it's gotta fit
    http://www.renold.com/media/308653/B..._Roll-Ring.pdf

I think we need pictures of the problem

oh
    ... never mind I think I found something like you have there
    Last edited by Trials; 06-03-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: oh added

it's a roller chain and if you can make it ride on the rollers instead of the plates it will be quieter, last longer and vibrate less, alternatively you can use a bearing and sprocket or wheel on your tensioner. Cam chain tensioners are better then what I just seen as being representative of what you are dealing with

I just planted my veggie garden:
    cucumber tomato watermelon peppers & cantaloupe

somebody's going to eat well, either me, or the wild animals
    Last edited by Trials; 06-03-2018 at 04:14 PM.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    In general, if the primary tensioner is setting too tight (rare), you'll get a sort of whistling sound. This is much more common as result of setting a manual tensioner too tight. A loose tensioner allows for chain clap (a clacking noise) when transitioning from drive to coast. Difficulty finding neutral is also symptomatic of a loose tensioner. The new noise is just as likely to be a result of assembling things differently when the primary cover was removed and replaced. It all depends on what other parts needed to be removed. Could be something as simple as a mis-aligned floorboard mount.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    In general, if the primary tensioner is setting too tight (rare), you'll get a sort of whistling sound. This is much more common as result of setting a manual tensioner too tight. A loose tensioner allows for chain clap (a clacking noise) when transitioning from drive to coast. Difficulty finding neutral is also symptomatic of a loose tensioner.
    My bike is an EVO and my understanding is that the OEM tensioner must be manually adjusted from time to time as the chain stretches. My mechanic recommended an automatic tensioner like they have on the twin cams that automatically maintain consistent tension and do not require adjustment. Neither of the noises you are describing sound like what I am hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    The new noise is just as likely to be a result of assembling things differently when the primary cover was removed and replaced. It all depends on what other parts needed to be removed. Could be something as simple as a mis-aligned floorboard mount.
    Based on your description, I am thinking something in this category is more likely to be causing the noise. I am thinking it may have something to do with the cables going to the front tire for the front brakes and fender light. I am wondering if a frequency of vibration at certain rpms gets the cables vibrating just the right way to cause the noise. I wonder if I can secure then in such a way that the a vibration will stop and the noise will go away.

Probably only experimentation will answer the question.