Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Blinker Module

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Bad Blinker Module

I have a 1992 Harley FLSTC. When I go it the turn signals did not work. I replaced the turn signal control module about two years ago. The turn signals worked fine for a while. Now the turn signals work intermittently and the control module makes a noise. Is it possible that there is an electrical problem that is causing the modules to go bad? Or is it more likely that the turn signal control module is defective? Or some other problem. Any thoughts?

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Too much load from the front turn signals.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Could that be solved by changing to LED?

The badlands control module I have cancels after 9 seconds. The OEM control module was connected to the speedometer and canceled after a certain distance was traveled. I do not like the 9 second cancel since I have to keep turning it back on when I am waiting to make a turn.

I am also not a fan of any kind of cancelling mechanism since after I ride the bike with the self cancelling signals, I tend to forget to cancel when I get on a bike with signals that do not self-cancel.

Which is a long way of asking - is there are turn signal control module for EVO era Harleys that do not self cancel? Anybody have a particular recommendation for a good one?

Any after market signals that connect to the speedo? I do not believe the OEM is available anymore. I believe that I must use after market.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was being facetious about the front turn signals. Unless the module is listed as "LED compatible", it is probably balanced for flashing a pair of bulbs that use at least 1 amp each, and it won't flash properly if the load is too high or low.

That said, it appears the aftermarket module is emulating a Honda Goldwing - 10 flashes and off.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    I was being facetious about the front turn signals.
    Haha - good one. Can't believe that went over my head.....

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Unless the module is listed as "LED compatible", it is probably balanced for flashing a pair of bulbs that use at least 1 amp each, and it won't flash properly if the load is too high or low.

That said, it appears the aftermarket module is emulating a Honda Goldwing - 10 flashes and off.
    I replaced the rear turn indicators with LED - is it possible that is contributing to the problem? Although I was having the problem before I changed the rear turn indicators.

I also have the rear turn indicators wired to come on with the brake lights.

Are you aware of anything that will just turn on and off like my other bikes?

Trying to keep myself in the habit of turning them on and off consistently. And I do not like it when they turn off while I am sitting waiting to make a turn.

What I really want is LED compatible that turns on and off.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    If a turn signal control unit, electronic or electro-mechanical, uses load-sensing to operate, the module is likely to recognise LED lights as burned out bulbs, and then do whatever the unit is designed to do to notify you that a bulb has failed. Usually, this means that the signal goes 'on', but does not blink.

Changing behavior is odd though. That is more often associated with poor connections, often a corroded or broken ground lead.

I have LEDs on the back and did the wiring myself. I wonder if either the rear LEDs are causing a problem. Or perhaps I made a bad connection. Although seems more like a ground problem.

Problem is only the left turn signal. Right turn signal works fine.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    That does sound like wiring. I'd attach a jumper from the ground at the socket to somwhere solid on the frame and see if the problem goes away.

I will try that, thanks.