Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Rider Course, I'm going

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar

Advanced Rider Course, I'm going

Some changes have taken place in the local instruction scene. The rider education programs are now administered locally by Illinois Central College, instead of the University of Illinois. And, although it had been rumored that courses were no longer going to be offered in my town (Decatur), they are having rider classes this year

And, the only sessions of the ARC being offered by ICC are on the last weekend of this month, right here in my backyard, so I signed up bada bing , cause I missed it last year thanks to our state's budget issues.

Had the class two years ago, has it changed since then?
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure - In my region, we've switched to the "ARCu", an updated version of the ARC you took before, and that is SUPPOSED to have happened state-wide, but I cannot confirm that.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Well, did the course last weekend, it was identical to the course I had two years ago. The only difference this time was that there were no rider coaches among the students.

Nine students. Roll call: 3 Harleys, 2 1800 Wings, 1 Indian Roadmaster, 1 Strom, 1 Moto Guzzi, and my Voyager XII. All but myself rode at least an hour to get there, I was the only local.

When we got out to the range, the weather wasn't the best. About 40 degrees, overcast and gusty wind out of the north at about 15 mph, which meant my cold-natured Voyager had a hard time staying warm and happy in the early going.

So the second exercise is threshold braking, which we did in this sort of butterfly loop with four stage-launch-threshold stops each, and that means a lot of clutching, and holding the clutch while waiting to stage. I think we did about 4 laps of that, then they added the stop-and-escape move into the second half of the exercise.

The clutch on my VII is rather heavy, and my left hand was fatiguing bad by the time we got to phase 2. So on about the third pass at the escape maneuver, I staged, launched, came to the first stop, executed the swerve escape, stopped again, but didn't get the clutch in quick enough. Bike stalled, and she gently fell over onto her tipover bars. Man down And a rider coach was right there to deduct points on the landing (and help me stand Xaviera back up).

A bike never falls without an audience, right?

Anyway, no harm done, not her first rodeo nor mine, and the rest of the day went without incident, and I came away feeling more prepared to handle my Voyager for the new riding season. Especially after completing the 'twin ovals of death'
    Last edited by thud300; 05-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Thanks for the story. Advanced Rider Courses are hard to find here. I found one about an hour from my home I am considering.

I am considering taking it multiple times. Perhaps once on each bike, maybe first on DRZ. I think DRZ would be easiest and most resilient to being dropped. I am thinking that to get the most out of the course, it would help to be on a bike I am willing to drop so that I can push the drills a bit.

But it has taken a long time for me to get around to scheduling it so perhaps I should take it on the bike I ride the most. - Versys

Or maybe I should take it on the bike I am the least confident handling. - Harley

I guess the most important thing is to take it.

ARC's are hard to find, period, so I considered myself fortunate to have one close by. They said that ARC is only offered on the local range because it has the best quality surface of all the locations where classes are held. I only found them offered on this one weekend.

The braking exercise is the most demanding, because it's meant to get everyone's tires warmed up. The other range maneuvers aren't that extreme, like peg scraping extreme, although the Wing guys would touch a peg occasionally 'cause they like that stuff.

The classroom part focuses on safety strategy, and self assessment of risk threshold.

The above prompted me to get out on a parking lot with my worst bike first, the Road King. I like to blame the dang beach bars .. and they are awkward .. but they'd be less so if I practiced with them some more. And the tires are 10+ years old and it's just too easy to smoke them braking. Time to cough up the coin for new tires .. (though I will never exceed the traction limit on a Harley's tires before I reach the lean limit .. )

The one huge difference IMNHO between when I started riding and today is the massive amount of motorcycle training available. I mean if you want to be better going slow, going in dirt, going in desert, going up mountains, going fast ... you name anything doable on a bike ... and there is training available for it.

And I recall something an old and very skilled flight instructor who specialized in training in Beechcraft Bonanzas told me. I was at a Bonanza Society's Refresher Weekend and had commented to him how good the training had been and what a benefit it was. And he replied "The only problem is the guys and gals who come to these schools are already the best pilots in the Society .. the ones who really need the training the most never come ... "

I'm pretty sure that applies to riders as well ..
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    .. the ones who really need the training the most never come ... "

I'm pretty sure that applies to riders as well ..
    That is true of everything. I used to teach Excel spreadsheet classes. Every time I would teach a class, I would learn something. Oftentimes, I would learn from my students.

In everything, there is so much to know that nobody can know everything. Everybody can learn. And even the most highly skilled and knowledgeable can learn from complete newbies.

But most people are more interested in showing off what they know than learning.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    But most people are more interested in showing off what they think they know than learning.
    Fixed that for you.

There is a LOT of discussion going on about how to get people into rider training, beyond the basic class. Those who want to learn and improve themselves can usually find what they want. Those who need, aren't looking.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Fixed that for you.

There is a LOT of discussion going on about how to get people into rider training, beyond the basic class. Those who want to learn and improve themselves can usually find what they want. Those who need, aren't looking.
    Socrates would be very much in agreement with that correction. According to him; "true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing".

I recall Socrates statement a little different. "The beginning of knowledge is to know you do not know .."

Ludwig Wittgenstein, one of the great philosophical minds of the last century, was thrilled to be invited to become part of the faculty at Oxford. After a year or so he was disillusioned saying most of the professors were more interested in sounding clever than in engaging in truly deep thought. I think of that sometimes when I am trying make a phrase 'more interesting sounding'.

He also mused that the purpose of philosophy was to separate the truth from the truthful sounding lie .. the problem being the truthful sounding lie oft being more convenient or compelling to the listener.

For me at least Einstein offered a partial answer. "The truth" he said "is what will stand the test of experience."
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.