Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think facebook is dying and that forums may come back?

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Facebook isnít dying, it tends to cater to us older folk. The youngsters like Instagram and maybe something else I donít even know exists.

As for the RC area on FB, they reined it back on track.

I donít participate much on either of these platforms like I did. I value my time much more and find that I donít really want to share too much of my personal life in the public realm, especially with strangers or near strangers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Besides, that's what you've got ME for!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! atonic's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Facebook group just happened. People just ended up connecting there after they got tired of things going on here. It sees much less activity than the forums here.

Mostly people have just moved on with their lives.

As a side note: I chuckle at people who 'don't do Facebook' from fear of privacy issues. If you don't want the world to know, don't tell Facebook.
    The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atonic View Post
    If you don't want the world to know, don't tell Facebook.
    And don't tell any friend that does FB. Went through that just a few months ago... A friend from out of the country was visiting, and decided to tell his wife about something that happened here. On an open-to-his-extended-family-and friends FB page. With names.

He "took it down" after I complained that it was a private matter, not for public consumption, but we already know what happens when you ask FB to "forget" something.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I agree with atonic that the facebook group isn't all that active. It was started as a way to touch base when this page was "down." I can't even remember who started it. Whomever originally started it has me as an admin on it so I approve people every now and then, in hopes they'll find the forums when they see the fb page isn't very active.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still chuckle at the irony behind the lengthy facebook BBO discussion several years ago about how the BBO forum isn't active.

Seriously, think about that for a bit...and then go back and read my initial post in this thread.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    I looked at the BBO page on FB, and there are only 3 admins/moderators: Tom, Missy and Hung, so one of them must have started the page.

To me, FB is nice for quick question, short answers, or hey, look at me! things. I find it hard to follow long threads because you can reply to something in the middle, whereas here it's all in time order, you refer back or quote if you need to make special reference.

I like this platform better.

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chench53 View Post
    I looked at the BBO page on FB, and there are only 3 admins/moderators: Tom, Missy and Hung, so one of them must have started the page.
    Not necessarily. A facebook group can be started by anyone, and that starter can always turn admin rights over to anyone else and leave the group or "demote" themself to a regular member. For example, I inherited a 250 Rebel group from someone who didn't want to manage it anymore, that person left and now I am the admin.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Not necessarily. A facebook group can be started by anyone, and that starter can always turn admin rights over to anyone else and leave the group or "demote" themself to a regular member. For example, I inherited a 250 Rebel group from someone who didn't want to manage it anymore, that person left and now I am the admin.
    Exactly. I forget who started the group, but whoever it was at some point made me an admin without me asking or wanting that, and then later whoever it was dropped out. I haven't done diddly as an admin. Don't even really know how to admin a FB group.
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Not necessarily. A facebook group can be started by anyone, and that starter can always turn admin rights over to anyone else and leave the group or "demote" themself to a regular member....
    AHA! I stand corrected!

You can download a copy of the BBO FB page, choose dates that surround creation date, it may reveal something.

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -