Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Front Turn Signals

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    ... is a little like the argument that I don't need rear view mirrors because everybody back there is behind me.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I appreciate it when oncoming drivers use their turn signals.
    This is a good reason to have front turn signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    When I'm sitting out in the middle of an intersection making a left turn, I like the feeling that oncoming traffic might notice that I'm out there making a left turn, right turn signal is probably a courtesy most of the time.

Sometimes a pedestrian or oncoming driver/s will give you a break when you are making a left turn, if they realize that's what you want to do.

Our law clearly states that you don't need to signal at all if there is nobody there that reasonably needs to see you signal your turn or lane change.
    Yes, I agree with these comments.

Sometimes a right turn is more than a courtesy. It communicates that you intend to slow down before you hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    ... is a little like the argument that I don't need rear view mirrors because everybody back there is behind me.
    Yes, kind of the opposite but similar in nature. My dad used to say he liked to drive faster than everybody else so he did not have to worry about people behind him.

That worked until he got too many tickets and had an accident and got his license suspended. Oops

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Or it may not work.
    My bad, being an owner of 20+ year old bikes I forgot how modern vehicles are cursed with cheap Chinese made electronics that stop working within weeks of leaving the dealership. Now that it's been refreshed in my memory, I can't begin to relate how many new/late model vehicles I see rolling down the road with one or two out of the three rear lights that are not working. I try to get around them ASAP, you know...just in case that last bulb dies while he's braking in front of me. Meanwhile all of my 20+ year old vehicles are still rocking their OEM bulbs. 12 volt lighting must be real complicated stuff these days.

My best guess is this guy in question is trying to avoid having people pull out in front of him when he has forgotten to deactivate his turn signal, i.e. approaching a driveway on the right w/right signal flashing, car in driveway believes bike is turning so he pulls out into traffic.

Being observant helps immensely in this case, starting with attention to your flashers being on or not. It's part of my standard scan routine to check the flasher idiot light...so when I forget it isn't flashing for long.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Let me see if I have this right by paraphrasing him...

I don't use my turn signals properly, therefore I find them ineffective and would rather not have them.

...and see if that sounds as ridiculous to anybody else as it does to me.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Usually when I see someone driving down the road in their car/pickup with a turn signal blinking mile after mile I assume their other vehicle is a motorcycle ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

My Harley has self cancelling turn signals. When I do not ride it for a while, I get into a good habit of remembering to turn the turn signals off. But when I have been riding the Harley and get used to the self cancelling turn signals, then I have to make a conscious effort to remember to turn the turn signals off when I ride one of my other bikes.

Kind of like when I go into a public bathroom and try to figure out whether the toilet is going to flush itself or not.

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Let me see if I have this right by paraphrasing him...

I don't use my turn signals properly, therefore I find them ineffective and would rather not have them.

...and see if that sounds as ridiculous to anybody else as it does to me.

Tom
    You nailed it, and I agree with you completely.
    '14 V Star 950, '01 Virago 250

What this rider is basically saying is, "Occasionally forgetting to cancel a turn signal is so much more dangerous than signaling intent to oncoming or cross traffic that you should not even tempt fate and simply remove the front signals." Please wait while I stop chuckling.

Still chuckling...
    ...almost done...
    ...OK. Done.

He says he takes responsibility for what's ahead of him? Um...dude? You take responsibility for what's ahead of you by clearly signalling your intent to turn or change lanes, and by paying enough attention to cancel your signal when you're through. I'm sure he believes what he's saying. I'm sure I believe he's wrong.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

I am not taking the front turn signals off my bike. But as I was riding today and signaled my turns and as I watched the turn signals of others, there was a lot more safety related signaling to people behind me and courtesy signaling to people in front of me.

And I think it does emphasize the point that it is really important to turn your signals off because somebody might pull out in front of you because he thinks you are going to turn.

Like I said, I am not taking the front turn signals off my bike. But I do think that he is right to the extent that signalling to people behind you is a lot more important for safety than signalling to people in front of you. The front signal I would like is an "I am going straight" signal.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The people in front of you are far more likely to hit you before the ones behind you, because the closure rate is faster.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)