Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Turn Signals

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Front Turn Signals

I had a very experienced rider tell me he does not like having front turn signals on his bikes. He said he takes responsibility of what is ahead of him and that front turn signals can cause problems if you forget to turn them off.

Of course, that would make the bike not street legal. But setting that aside, anybody agree with this guy?

I am usually good about remembering to turn off my turn signals, but I am not 100%. I will make a point of being more careful remembering.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    You know how many texters out there really don't know the hand signals!

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Of course, that would make the bike not street legal.
    That would depend on the State your're riding in. In Arizona, you can legally remove your turn signals. That does not releive you of the responsibility to signal all turns though.

I had assumed that turn signals were required in Florida, but I have not checked.

But my real questions is whether anybody has an opinion about my friends perspective that front turn signals are not useful.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I've had bikes where I had to issue hand signals all the time, it's no fun and like I said, you'd be amazed how many drivers have no idea what the proper hands signals mean despite it being part of every driver test. I take it your friend also doesn't like to ride at night. There's 3 reasons right there to like front signals

... it's when you are stopped in an intersection or stopped to make a turn that the signals are most useful.

I had a guy in class a few years ago who would downshift to slow down, rather than use the brakes. He said that he did so in order to not wear out the brakes. He only used the brakes at the very end of a stop. I wonder if he knows your turn signal guy?

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I had a very experienced rider tell me he does not like having front turn signals on his bikes. He said he takes responsibility of what is ahead of him and that front turn signals can cause problems if you forget to turn them off.
    That's actually a paradox..."very experienced" and "forgetting to turn off the flashers" in the same paragraph.

I mean just how far does one have to travel before realizing that yellow idiot light near the speedo is still flashing? As an equally experienced driver (presumably), does he disconnect his automotive flashers for the same reason?

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I had a guy in class a few years ago who would downshift to slow down, rather than use the brakes. He said that he did so in order to not wear out the brakes. He only used the brakes at the very end of a stop.
    It's actually a good idea, considering how clutch plates & springs are so much more affordable and easier to swap out compared to doing the same with brake pads.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    That's actually a paradox..."very experienced" and "forgetting to turn off the flashers" in the same paragraph.
    Not sure about that. Most of the car drivers I see with their signals stuck on seem to be older. My dad has got really bad about it because he just canít hear the clicker anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Not sure about that. Most of the car drivers I see with their signals stuck on seem to be older. My dad has got really bad about it because he just can’t hear the clicker anymore.
    Yes, experience and ability are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    I mean just how far does one have to travel before realizing that yellow idiot light near the speedo is still flashing?
    The indicator is not always yellow, may not be very bright, and may not be near the speedometer.